#16 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1654 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:54

This sort of problem is sometimes caused by barline-to-barline thinking.  This prelude is typical of Bach's way of constructing in that the first pattern starts a semiquaver into the bar and ends on the first quaver of bar 2.  Then there are 3 link notes BED#, again crossing the next bar-line before the patterning repeats.  Meanwhile the LH is playing a similar pattern from Bars 2 to 3.

I once solved this problem for a pupil (temporarily) in a similar piece by snopaking out the bar lines and drawing them back in a beat later.  It worked like magic until I replaced the original lines.

#17 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22757 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 25 May 2018 - 14:57

There are many such- your teacher should be able to recommend some that you will find palatable. I find that Bach can be really good for that too.

I came to the conclusion that life is too short for Bach. 

I managed a couple of Inventions and even sinfonias but when a couple of month's effort on a fugue didn't even get me through the first four bars I decided that it really wasn't worth the effort for me. I just don't get it to listen to either so that doesn't help and there's so much piano music that most of us can't do everything.

#18 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:17

.... I could fairly quickly play my piece hands separately but hands together has confounded me! which isn't usually my problem so this was a bit of a surprise.  and even where I have managed hands-together - the ensemble isn't quite in perfect time (rests are slightly misaligned etc).

I'm pretty sure Bach intended that to be difficult in writing it - so just think what benefit it's doing to your brain to struggle through the first stages, but  eventually learn to play it!! Your hand coordination will improve so much for doing it! If you like the piece, then it's worth persevering (I agree with sbhoa though, when you get to Grade 5 or above, the amount of time needed to learn a piece does mean that for me too, I'm only going to try the ones I really like!).

#19 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22757 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:57

.... I could fairly quickly play my piece hands separately but hands together has confounded me! which isn't usually my problem so this was a bit of a surprise.  and even where I have managed hands-together - the ensemble isn't quite in perfect time (rests are slightly misaligned etc).

I'm pretty sure Bach intended that to be difficult in writing it - so just think what benefit it's doing to your brain to struggle through the first stages, but  eventually learn to play it!! Your hand coordination will improve so much for doing it! If you like the piece, then it's worth persevering (I agree with sbhoa though, when you get to Grade 5 or above, the amount of time needed to learn a piece does mean that for me too, I'm only going to try the ones I really like!).

I've always been willing to try anything even if I don't immediately like it but there is a point at which I might realise that I'm going nowhere and it's not a good use of my time and effort.

#20 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6484 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:43

Only when you run out of all the things you do like that challenge you, do you have to turn to the things you don't get on with :D I've certainly got a lifetime's worth of good stuff to be getting on with... :rofl:

#21 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1057 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 26 May 2018 - 13:46

I am not keen on Bach when played by me although I did all the inventions and a few P+Fs. When played by some others however I am very keen!

Do you really not like this? DD played it for an exam once and I never tired of it.

#22 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1057 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 26 May 2018 - 13:58

Hmm, didnt link.  It was P+F in F minor book 1 but could also have been B flat minor book 1. Or pretty much any of them by Richter, Maria Yudina or Sokalov.   Who for me have more emotion than Angela Hewitt despite her being a consumate technician.

#23 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5935 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 26 May 2018 - 14:57

There are many such- your teacher should be able to recommend some that you will find palatable. I find that Bach can be really good for that too.

I came to the conclusion that life is too short for Bach. 

I managed a couple of Inventions and even sinfonias but when a couple of month's effort on a fugue didn't even get me through the first four bars I decided that it really wasn't worth the effort for me. I just don't get it to listen to either so that doesn't help and there's so much piano music that most of us can't do everything.

Bach has certain characteristics that make it useful for exercising and strengthening fingers, I find- it was in that vein that I recommended it. I like Bach but it's not to everyone's taste. Doesn't matter if one can find other things that work

#24 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22757 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 26 May 2018 - 15:50

I am not keen on Bach when played by me although I did all the inventions and a few P+Fs. When played by some others however I am very keen!

Do you really not like this? DD played it for an exam once and I never tired of it.

That's not as cluttered as some. It's ok, quite pretty but about a minute too long. 

Mostly I find that I don't 'get' much of the Bach I've so far tried. I'm sure that there are thing I do and will like.

The latest I have to play is a transcription for clarinet of the allemande from the 3rd cello suite. I've kind of got the first section but haven't a clue what's going on after that. It's like a series of sequences with some linking bits that for me don't seem to fit. I think that on the whole I'm much more comfortable with more or less regular phrases and a tune though I do get variety and at least try things outside of my comfort zone. Sometimes those pieces that start off seeming rather unusual grow on you.

#25 akc42

akc42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Member: 898697
  • Just outside London

Posted 28 May 2018 - 20:16

The latest I have to play is a transcription for clarinet of the allemande from the 3rd cello suite. I've kind of got the first section but haven't a clue what's going on after that. It's like a series of sequences with some linking bits that for me don't seem to fit. I think that on the whole I'm much more comfortable with more or less regular phrases and a tune though I do get variety and at least try things outside of my comfort zone. Sometimes those pieces that start off seeming rather unusual grow on you.

Have you seen the Benjamin Zanders series of Interpretation Classes; Lessons for Life on Youtube.  There are lots of them, several of which cover various Bach allemandes

#26 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 17 June 2018 - 22:10

As others have said, your progress is impressive. But persistence is key and you'll get past this 'rut' at some point and will wonder how it was you ever found the things you currently find difficult, difficult.