#1 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3222 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:26

I've just preordered grades 1 to 3 and as usual am hoping they're an improvement on the last lot. Am starting to drift towards Trinity for higher grades but one of the schools I work at uses abrsm exams so have to stick with that there. There's not a lot I'll miss in the old pieces.Romance in grade 3 has proved popular and Allegretto in grade 2. Just occasionally in the past I've been sad to see lists go and have used them in the overlap period, but definitely not this time.

#2 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7127 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 26 May 2018 - 00:15

I've also pre-ordered and am keeping fingers crossed that the early Grades and in particular Grade 1 will be more attractive for younger pupils and also easier than the present list which really does have some very difficult moments for Grade 1 candidates.

#3 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2134 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:00

Keeping everything crossed that grades 1 and 2, especially, are more child-friendly. Will be ecstatic to see the back of Bouncing Billy and that tricky swung When the Saints. Had interesting moment last week with 9 year old boy on current grade 1 with me trying to explain what 'Woman is Fickle' means.

#4 LouiseW

LouiseW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Member: 10189

Posted 29 May 2018 - 20:43

I also have everything crossed for a more approachable grade 1 syllabus. I have a few students who should be ready to start grade 1 but every time I play through the current pieces and try to imagine teaching them the tricky rhythms or the left hand parts that jump around or think about trying to enthuse them about the pieces... Well, I just end up putting the book back on the shelf.

Not enjoying the current grade 3 either - I have a couple of students struggling a bit with this.

On a more positive note, I have quite enjoyed grade 4 and have taught all 3 A pieces from the book; the Schumann and the lovely Waltz in A from the B list and 4 different C choices - Bow-chicka..., Black Eyes, The Penguin and Foreign Correspondent all of which I have enjoyed working on with my students.

#5 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8021 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:05

Had interesting moment last week with 9 year old boy on current grade 1 with me trying to explain what 'Woman is Fickle' means.

I teach mine the Ken Dodd words for the second half (actually my brother says he thinks it might be Benny Hill, but I can't find them anywhere) "My Auntie Nellie / Has a big telly / My Auntie Lil / has a bigger one still". And I play them Pavarotti or some other good Italian singer and tell them the last phrase always comes out sounding like "Elephant's Ears" - and they all think it's a really fun piece after that