Photo

Gah ..... "Thank you for taking the time to contact us ....

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41682 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:16

He is about 50:50 ABRSM/Trinity.
Do not assume :P

#62 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:20

I'm always assuming! So are you 50/ 50 because it suits different types of pupils? When I've used LCM or Trinity it is for that reason.

#63 susiejean

susiejean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Member: 10392
  • Aberdeenshire

Posted 15 June 2018 - 16:59

I've heard it's been appalling - but surely 4 hours has to be some kind of record?

3 hours 49 minutes 13 seconds sad.png

blink.png

#64 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1015 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:39

I've been thinking about ABRSM's exam booking system and just how out of synch with modern day life it is. I'm not sure when it was put in place but it has certainly been similar since the 1970s (With the exception of the media used for the entry form of course). Even the 1970s were a very different country, and I am guessing this five week exam period system harks back to even earlier. Anyone who has memories further back than then care to enlighten us further? If you think about it, there once was a nice cosy middle class land far far away where Mother didn't work and was always available to take the children to an exam. Nowadays, Mother, or Daddy, has to take a day's holiday from work, and that's if work will allow this at short notice. I also have many adult candidates, some of whom work in jobs such as law or medicine where it is really tough getting time off at short notice.

#65 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:31

Our local Trinity centre offers Sunday afternoons, which many parents (and accompanists)  find convenient, especially as the date and time are known at the time of booking. Trinity was quite slow in introducing online booking - not so long ago I had to fill in a form, write a cheque, find an envelope!!  - but it was well worth the wait. Plus it is unusual for the mark form to take longer than a week to arrive.

#66 ontheblackkeys

ontheblackkeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Member: 895988

Posted Yesterday, 16:41

Our local Trinity centre offers Sunday afternoons, which many parents (and accompanists)  find convenient, especially as the date and time are known at the time of booking. Trinity was quite slow in introducing online booking - not so long ago I had to fill in a form, write a cheque, find an envelope!!  - but it was well worth the wait. Plus it is unusual for the mark form to take longer than a week to arrive.

Some areas (including mine) still don't have online booking for Trinity, sadly.  Not really sure why - I live in a reasonably-sized city - but I'm still stuck with postal apps.

#67 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22757 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted Yesterday, 19:21

Some areas (including mine) still don't have online booking for Trinity, sadly.  Not really sure why - I live in a reasonably-sized city - but I'm still stuck with postal apps.

I actually like that the centre I use hasn't so far doe online booking. The rep is great. There are only two days, Saturday and Sunday, with an overflow to the next weekend if necessary. With postal entries we can ask for a smallish time slot if we need and can usually be accommodated to within an hour. When I had a student playing football in the morning I was able to ask for a time after 3pm. If I'm accompanying or playing a duet part with a student and also playing at church on the Sunday morning I can ask that we don't get a Sunday morning slot.