Photo

Do you wish you could play another instrument?

instruments

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you wish you could play another instrument? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you wish you could play another instrument?

1. Yes (24 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (6 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

If you wish you could play another instrument, which one would it be?

1. Bassoon (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Cello (7 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

3. Clarinet (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Double bass (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

5. Flute (0 votes [0.00%])

6. French horn (1 votes [3.33%])

7. Guitar (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

8. Bass guitar (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Harp (3 votes [10.00%])

10. Oboe (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Percussion (1 votes [3.33%])

12. Piano (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Saxophone (1 votes [3.33%])

14. Trombone (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Trumpet (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Tuba (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Viola (0 votes [0.00%])

18. Violin (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

19. Other (3 votes [10.00%])

20. I do not wish to learn another instrument. (6 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6542 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:52

Toyta Aygo.  I remember getting a cello (in hard case) in a Metro, and it was only do-able because I could flatten the back seat and tip the front passenger seat forward because it was a three door.  As the Aygo is five door, I only have the tiny boot and flat back seats to play with.  Might have to go out there with a tape measure from curiosity now though :)

Also realised cello would probably need new glasses because I can't have my nose on the music!  Neither of these would be show-stoppers if I had a burning passion to play the cello.  I don't.  I don't have a burning passion to play any instrument specifically, or any specific piece (which would at least lead you towards certain instrument[s]).  I just enjoy being part of the music.

Similarly, I had a hankering to sing at one point.  Trouble is, I never knew what I wanted to sing, as in do I want to join the local choral society or the local pop choir or the local am dram musical theatre group?  None of the above...(and all of them seemed to meet on the one night of the week there was no way I could do!)

Likewise never had anything specific I wanted to be when I grew up, but that seems to be reasonably common - at least among my colleagues!!

One of those delightful 'motivational' messages went past my eyes yesterday: "if you want something enough, you will find away; if you don't, you will find an excuse".  And then I ponder this too much, so I go from yesterday all full of the joys of 'let's start a new instrument then', to today full of 'well, if I can't even pick an instrument, maybe I shouldn't do anything as I clearly don't want anything enough'.

#47 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:46

The vision of the Cello needing new glasses had me seriously confused for a moment.

#48 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4384 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:18

Ah... another gem for the Pedants' Paradise! laugh.png

#49 Bremmer

Bremmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Member: 6584

Posted 17 August 2018 - 20:57

I started on violin, though I wanted initially to play the piano. I then took up the piano as well and hated it. It was only when I started teaching I began to work at the piano in order to be able to play accompaniments for pupils in lessons and exams. I then made a bit of a hobby taking music exams on other instruments, trying to learn them properly though, got Grade 8 on viola, cello and recorder, grade 7 piano, 5 double bass and 5 saxophone  in 3 months from scratch  - though I'm not now allowed to play that as it's too noisy . I fancy a bassoon, but can't afford one.  smile.png

#50 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 14 September 2018 - 18:35

Just curious: which orchestral instrument would you like to play? And what is keeping you from starting to learn such an instrument?

Just had a very interesting conversation with Mr Maizie.  He seems very keen on me taking up clarinet [I mentioned orchestral instrument for more group playing, he immediately decided what I need is a clarinet].  Actually, I think it's because he likes Rhapsody in Blue, I don't think I should let him know how many years that would take rofl.gif

But it's a very interesting idea and quite possibly something I'll be persuing (clarinet or otherwise)...absolutely not giving up recorders, but also thinking that my OU study is coming to an end, and while part of me very much wants to take on further study, maybe the newly spare time might be very much enjoyable with a new instrument that comes with an easier social aspect (there is at least one group here near me that takes from G3, so it wouldn't be toooooo long till I got there, I hope).

I think Mr Maizie is right. The clarinet is a very versatile instrument with a great range and quite a lot of interesting music. You could easily put it in your rugsack. The Buffet Crampon plastic clarinets have a nice price and sound fine when you put a decent mouthpiece like a VanDoren B45 on it. And you can find great internet lessons like those of Michelle Anderson. Yes, this is the road I've been taking for the last two years and I very much enjoy it.

So, what's keeping you from starting the clarinet? rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

#51 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3642 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:33

I have always thought if I were to have a second instrument it would be cello.

Then I remember the huge cost compared to violin and the fact I would need to learn bass clef. I then always come to the conclusion that I am happy being a one instrument person.

#52 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:44

I have always thought if I were to have a second instrument it would be cello.

Then I remember the huge cost compared to violin and the fact I would need to learn bass clef. I then always come to the conclusion that I am happy being a one instrument person.

I can't say anything about the huge costs of a cello, but I know from experience (with my lever harp) that learning bass clef is rather easy. You just think a note to be a third higher and an octave lower. Yes, this would only cost you a few hours to get the hang of it and in one or two weeks it would become an automatism.

By the way, I had a look at entry level celli from Stentor and Gewa and they won't cust you much more than a holiday week abroad :)

So, the only convincing reason to stick to the violin would be the fact that every time you were tempted to start a second instrument, you eventually came to the conclusion that you are happy being a one instrument person.

I  myself am a too many instruments person, and sometimes wish I wasn't, as I've only got limited time to practice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: instruments