12 replies to this topic

#1 semplice

semplice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Member: 898607

Posted 08 July 2018 - 22:21

I have been learning pieces which are between 2 - 3 minutes in length and would now like to challenge myself with a longer piece (6 - 8 mins?) or sonata. 

I learnt Beethoven sonata in F minor (op. 2, no.1) and Mozart Fantasie kv475 many years ago. 

Any suggestions from the classical or  20th century repertoire that would suit someone with only an octave (sometimes a 9th) stretch?

#2 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 08 July 2018 - 22:45

I have been learning pieces which are between 2 - 3 minutes in length and would now like to challenge myself with a longer piece (6 - 8 mins?) or sonata. 

I learnt Beethoven sonata in F minor (op. 2, no.1) and Mozart Fantasie kv475 many years ago. 

Any suggestions from the classical or  20th century repertoire that would suit someone with only an octave (sometimes a 9th) stretch?

How about Schubert - Impromptu Op 142, D 935 No 2 in A flat Allegretto

or Toccata: 1st movt from Partita No. 6 in E minor, BWV 830

Unsure what the stretch requirements are. 

#3 semplice

semplice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 23:28

How about Schubert - Impromptu Op 142, D 935 No 2 in A flat Allegretto

or Toccata: 1st movt from Partita No. 6 in E minor, BWV 830

Unsure what the stretch requirements are. 

Thanks Keron ... will check those pieces out. 

#4 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:28

If you enjoyed the Mozart Fantasie you might like to try the Rondo in A min Op 511. I managed it with similar handspan.
Mozart sonata A min K310, F maj K332.

For ideas I usually look on exam repertoire lists of the various boards for G8 or first diploma, or TCL advanced cert, listen on the Tube and see if I can check out the piece for doability on IMSLP. Smallish hands are a nuisance for a lot of the more advanced rep though, in my incompetent experience.

Another way of trying to up your stamina is to choose a set of pieces from a composer you like, and make a programme of three or four contrasting ones from it to perform consecutively, maybe say from Janacek On an Overgrown Path, Debussy Preludes or Dr Gradus, Bartok, Mendelssohn SWW ... endless possibilites.

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17034 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:33

Schubert Impromptus   eg the E Flat and G flat.  (I think the A flat mentioned above is easier than Grade 8).  Look at the Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues Op 87, no 5 in D is a good starter, but  the ones in C, A ,Bflat, G minor, B and F have been set for grade 8.  A Minor is set at the moment but I think thats pretty tricky for Grade 8.  The Mozart A Minor Rondo I thought was K611. I reckon is the hardest piano piece he wrote, harder than all the Sonatas, but the B Minor Adagio has been set Grade 8.

#6 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:38

Here is an excellent graded repertoire list, probably compiled by Bernhard, the erstwhile treasure of Pianostreet:

https://www.pianostr..._Pieces_All.xls

#7 semplice

semplice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:49

Thankyou dorfmouse and fsharpminor for all those great suggestions smile.png

#8 lois

lois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Member: 44946
  • Walsall - West Mids

Posted 09 July 2018 - 15:30

Satie had small hands!!

I've learnt quite a few of his ditties and whilst he does sometimes require stretches it's where he puts the other notes in the chords that lead me to this conclusion smile.png

Easy fit for my small hands.

I'm currently attempting Pieces Froids, some of his lesser known works really are quite good

#9 stork

stork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Member: 897622

Posted 09 July 2018 - 21:15

Weber sonata 1, op.24

Poulenc 'Melancolie'

Schubert E-flat and G-flat Impromptu as above

Or play a longer set/suite of shorter pieces.

Berkeley: Preludes

Gann: Private Dances

Or a duet:

Schubert Fantasy in F Minor

#10 semplice

semplice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 22:35

Thanks Lois and Stork. I love most of those composers although I'm not familiar with Gann. 

#11 sam93

sam93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Member: 892964

Posted 23 July 2018 - 22:30

Have you ever had a look at the Nocturnes of John Field? They're very Chopin-esque (Chopin was inspired by Field's music!), but they're not played half as much as the Chopin Nocturnes. Really beautiful pieces and well within the capabilities of a grade 8 pianist. Some of them are on the shorter side (3 - 4 mins), but there are some which are 5 mins +. 

If you've had a go at a Beethoven Sonata, why don't you have a crack at a movement of a Schubert sonata? 

#12 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17034 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:08

Have you ever had a look at the Nocturnes of John Field? They're very Chopin-esque (Chopin was inspired by Field's music!), but they're not played half as much as the Chopin Nocturnes. Really beautiful pieces and well within the capabilities of a grade 8 pianist. Some of them are on the shorter side (3 - 4 mins), but there are some which are 5 mins +. 

If you've had a go at a Beethoven Sonata, why don't you have a crack at a movement of a Schubert sonata? 

If you want a really long Sonata, look at the last Schubert one in B flat D960,  40 mins.   I do not find this too difficult technically, despite the fact its in F diploma syllabi.  Beautiful, manageable second movement, and third has been set for grade 7.  First movement is very long , and the last movement the hardest of the four

#13 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:54

+1 for D960.  I adore it, though haven't yet sat down and learnt it properly.