#16 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:26

Don't use the back button - it wipes everything!!!!  If it's someone's Masters I feel really sorry for them trying to analyse all those open ended questions *if* they get 2,500 responses... but then people always imagine they'll get more responses than they get. Returns are always poor. Except on one of the train lines I used to commute on and then we'd come to blows almost trying to get a questionnaire so we could tell them just how we felt...

#17 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 28 July 2018 - 18:02

I see they've reached a whopping 3% of the 2500 respondents they're after...

#18 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3106 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 28 July 2018 - 18:55

Ha. Glad I'm not the only one disappointed by Teachers' Voices. The latest thing there (about 'failure') had me jotting down things that morphed into a 4-page Word document which I am NOT going to post in TV. The more I wrote the more uneasy I became and, as has been said earlier here, it's all about ABRSM aiming to target money-making opportunities.
I know I am far from alone in being very disgruntled by ABRSM's 'service' particularly in the last year...
BPx

#19 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2137 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:47

Ha. Glad I'm not the only one disappointed by Teachers' Voices. The latest thing there (about 'failure') had me jotting down things that morphed into a 4-page Word document which I am NOT going to post in TV. The more I wrote the more uneasy I became and, as has been said earlier here, it's all about ABRSM aiming to target money-making opportunities.
I know I am far from alone in being very disgruntled by ABRSM's 'service' particularly in the last year...
BPx

Yes, same here. I'm all for ABRSM's publishing arm producing some imaginative and well-thought out titles that could fill existing gaps. But as an organisation, I would rather they put their time and resources into their core offering- organising and carrying out examinations. Without doing that well, they can be offering all the additional money-spinners in the world but to my mind are failing.

I found the adult survey interesting but really disliked one of the questions where they asked about our own experiences of adult learning and asked us to tick what was most important. This really assumes that all forms of learning are the same when of course they aren't. I'm a bit of an adult learning addict and I ask very different things from different formats and types of learning in terms of the time I expect to put in and what content I expect to receive.

#20 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:35

Curiousity got the better of me so I opened the adult learners part.

First question tick which country you are in. I have to tick "other".
Clicked on Next and got;
"Thank you for answering our Adult Learning survey. Your thoughts will directly impact ABRSM's strategic development of an offer for adults. Happy music-making!
Best wishes
ABRSM"

(Tried again, same. Went back and ticked England and the next page opens fine!)
What message does this send to the international community who use the exams? Oh, maybe they're in full Brexit mode!!

#21 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4607 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:55

Curiousity got the better of me so I opened the adult learners part.
First question tick which country you are in. I have to tick "other".
Clicked on Next and got;
"Thank you for answering our Adult Learning survey. Your thoughts will directly impact ABRSM's strategic development of an offer for adults. Happy music-making!
Best wishes
ABRSM"
(Tried again, same. Went back and ticked England and the next page opens fine!)
What message does this send to the international community who use the exams? Oh, maybe they're in full Brexit mode!!

What a strange idea.
Many teachers here feel the ABRSM has written off the home market in favour of the Far East.
I too got taken to the Thank You page rather early, but it was after a different question.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adult learning, mature student, older learner, research