Photo

Anyone thinking about Autumn term exams?

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#166 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted Yesterday, 04:13

Thank you, hennylemon.  My teacher is very keen to see the comments sheet, which I will pick up from the centre after my piano lesson this afternoon.  Unless there is something very obvious, though, I probably won't challenge it.  I don't want to get in to 'he said, she said' and anyway, I know that I am better than that result!

This (the bit in bold) is what is important. While it's nice to get high marks in something that you've put a lot of effort into working towards, and can be a bit disheartening when the mark isn't what you want, I think it's crucial to remember that a numerical mark is only really a measurement of how things went on that particular day, in that particular set of circumstances. It is not an absolute final say on your ability. The real reward of taking exams is the progress that is made en route to exam day and finding music you love that you might never have come across otherwise 

#167 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted Yesterday, 11:31

Got my Grade 8 piano result this afternoon. It is several marks lower than I thought my lowest mark might be, and , although it is a safe pass in total, the marks are skewed by high sight reading and aural marks. Two of the pieces were absolute disasters. I'm not sure what to do next, to be honest. I could resit next term with the same pieces, or go for it again with new pieces from the 2019-2020 syllabus. Or I could leave it.

It is much the same as my Grade 7 - higher marks overall, but I just can't seem to play the pieces to anywhere near the required standard.

Congratulations, andante! In my eyes, having achieved a Grade 8 in piano is simply amazing. I'm early in my piano journey so I can't event imagine how much work you have put into it. 

My teacher texted me last night that I have received a merit for my singing. I don't know the marks yet but that's the overall result I expected and I think it's pretty fair, even though I wanted a distinction (but then again, who doesn't wink.png ). 

#168 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted Yesterday, 11:49

Congratulations, hennylemon. :)

#169 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted Yesterday, 11:53

Thanks, everyone, for your positive comments.  Yes, I had great fun learning and choreographing the programme and I appreciate that nerves got in the way so my performance in the exam was nowhere near what I can produce in front of an audience. 

Why is performing in front of one examiner so much more frightening that performing to a roomful of people?

The mark sheet has given me some excellent insight into what I have to work on before I contemplate Diploma (gulp!).