Photo

Anyone thinking about Autumn term exams?

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#181 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10730 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 03 January 2019 - 13:30

Thanks for those helpful comments, flobiano. I've had time to process the result now (although I haven't yet seen the mark sheet) and I'm going to accept it as a safe Grade 8 pass, which is what is was (my total was 111) and move on. I am pretty sure that the underlying problems were technical ones, and so I am aiming to improve my technique so that I can make music on the piano rather than just aim to get my fingers around the notes. I'm beginning to look at selection of pieces ranging from Grade 6 to Grade 8+, and I am really thankful not to have the two-year time pressure that piano grade exams have placed upon me. I can see where the journey takes me and admire the view on the way. :)

#182 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Member: 73855

Posted 03 January 2019 - 15:35

Thanks for those helpful comments, flobiano. I've had time to process the result now (although I haven't yet seen the mark sheet) and I'm going to accept it as a safe Grade 8 pass, which is what is was (my total was 111) and move on. I am pretty sure that the underlying problems were technical ones, and so I am aiming to improve my technique so that I can make music on the piano rather than just aim to get my fingers around the notes. I'm beginning to look at selection of pieces ranging from Grade 6 to Grade 8+, and I am really thankful not to have the two-year time pressure that piano grade exams have placed upon me. I can see where the journey takes me and admire the view on the way. smile.png

That sounds like a good plan.  You achieved a good solid pass which is definitely something to be proud of.  There is certainly lots of good piano music to play around that standard.  I've really enjoyed just exploring repertoire on both piano and oboe without being constrained by exam syllabi or timetables!

#183 emmjay

emmjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 897192

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:40

Just heard from my teacher and I just barely managed a distinction for G6 piano (130). Nearly all of my marks were in the high merit range but I got a 29 on my C piece, so that’s what did it.

I’m looking forward to taking some time off from exams and trying the 40-piece challenge in 2019!

#184 emmjay

emmjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 897192

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:56

Thanks for those helpful comments, flobiano. I've had time to process the result now (although I haven't yet seen the mark sheet) and I'm going to accept it as a safe Grade 8 pass, which is what is was (my total was 111) and move on. I am pretty sure that the underlying problems were technical ones, and so I am aiming to improve my technique so that I can make music on the piano rather than just aim to get my fingers around the notes. I'm beginning to look at selection of pieces ranging from Grade 6 to Grade 8+, and I am really thankful not to have the two-year time pressure that piano grade exams have placed upon me. I can see where the journey takes me and admire the view on the way. :)

This sounds fantastic. Just think of all of the amazing pieces you will be able to learn and enjoy.

And congratulations on your exam result! A Grade 8 pass is no mean feat!

#185 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10730 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:52

Thanks for those helpful comments, flobiano. I've had time to process the result now (although I haven't yet seen the mark sheet) and I'm going to accept it as a safe Grade 8 pass, which is what is was (my total was 111) and move on. I am pretty sure that the underlying problems were technical ones, and so I am aiming to improve my technique so that I can make music on the piano rather than just aim to get my fingers around the notes. I'm beginning to look at selection of pieces ranging from Grade 6 to Grade 8+, and I am really thankful not to have the two-year time pressure that piano grade exams have placed upon me. I can see where the journey takes me and admire the view on the way. smile.png

This sounds fantastic. Just think of all of the amazing pieces you will be able to learn and enjoy.

And congratulations on your exam result! A Grade 8 pass is no mean feat!

Thanks! And congratulations on your Grade 6 distinction. :D

#186 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 07 January 2019 - 14:14

Well done emmjay, what a great way to start the year!