Photo

Anyone thinking about Autumn term exams?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1131 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2018 - 18:55

Not posted for a while but doing my first exam since 2012 this session. Will be taking oboe ARSM - had first rehearsal with accompanist last night, generally OK though a bit of work needed there to bring it together.  Hoping that date will be available soon.  Good luck to everyone else preparing.

I'm sure you will be just fine! The very best of luck to you and let us know how you get on!

#77 SwissPianoGirl

SwissPianoGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Member: 893205

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:22

My grade 8 piano is roughly one month away, and I am not feeling as confident as I would have liked. I have played all three pieces in workshops and piano parties, but not without errors! In the exam, my Bach Gigue and Adriana should go well, but the Beethoven F minor Sonata is still 25 % below the tempo indicated. My scales are good, but some of the arpeggios at the required tempo are a bit messy. The aural will be OK, but the sight reading is a real struggle. I am doing a mock exam with another teacher in a week, and if it goes well, I will relax. Right now I am practicing hard and trying to build my confidence! I need to calm the jitters before the exam.

#78 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:44

I have played all three pieces in workshops and piano parties, but not without errors! 

You will make mistakes, you are human! It is learning to play through those mistakes and not letting them put you off the next bit, that is the skill. You can not learn a piece to such a level that you go into an exam 100% confident that a mistake is not possible, so embrace the little errors, because through them you can show to the examiner how well you can continue anyway without a slip affecting the musicality of the rest of you performance.

Don't get too hung up about tempo either. Some of the markings are a joke! The Grade 6 piece I am learnng at the moment has a tempo marking that would be way too fast, and the two professional pianists I watched playing it on Youtube are taking it much slower and it sounds great at their speed.

#79 SwissPianoGirl

SwissPianoGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Member: 893205

Posted 15 October 2018 - 17:08

Thanks EllieD! I think I will be do OK, I have learned to keep going no matter what, and expect that an occasional error will happen. Grade 8 is more scary than my previous exams and I have not been overly nervous. This time, I just have to not pysche myself out!!

#80 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted Yesterday, 17:55

Got my sax exam date through, turns out my examiner wrote one of the books of pieces I've got (and used for grade 4 last year) - no pressure there then! 

#81 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • Member: 73855

Posted Today, 08:27

Thanks Ligneo Fistula.

Have my date through now - so 5 weeks to get the last bits ironed out and build stamina!

I feel confident I am capable of passing - provided I can keep my nerves under control!

I'm hoping to play one of my pieces at a local music group that I'm part of - it's a collection of amateur musicians that meet monthly to perform for each other.  It happens to meet at the church used as the exam centre - so  not only will it be good practice of playing for audience but will be in the same room that I do my exam in!

PS I can't work out/ remember how to "quote" people in posts. I thought I just pressed the "quote" button under their posts but it doesn't seem to work. 

#82 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted Today, 11:55

PS I can't work out/ remember how to "quote" people in posts. I thought I just pressed the "quote" button under their posts but it doesn't seem to work. 

There's a thread on this somewhere.  Depends on your browser.  I'm not sure I remember correctly but I think the conclusion was that "Quote" works with Firefox and Chrome (definitely Chrome, which is what I am using now) but not Internet Explorer.