Photo

Anyone thinking about Autumn term exams?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#91 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:12

Just had Grade 6 theory in the weekend and G5 violin a few days ago - the cold weather completely killed it for me mad.gif expecting a low pass hopefully for violin...

grade 8 piano is exactly a week away and I have ended up at a point where progress seems like it's reversing! Lacking so much motivation to practice in this cold rainy weather and cannot seem to play all the three pieces without stopping numerous times. Definitely do not want to miss out on the merit or distinction mark knowing that I sacrificed heaps to prepare for this piano exam! sad.png

hope everyone's exams go well, best of luck. may your exams be as easy as you are grouphug.gif

Keep positive; I'm sure it will all come together on the day! The very best of luck!

#92 emmjay

emmjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Member: 897192

Posted 10 November 2018 - 13:20

My G6 piano exam is 3 weeks from Monday and I am dreading it. I just had my lesson and she brought in another teacher to listen so it would be more like a performance. It was a mess. My A piece was OK until the end and then I made one mistake and struggled to recover. My other two pieces sounded worse than they have in months.

I am doing this for myself and there is no real pressure, so I don’t understand why I get so nervous! I might write a little note to myself somewhere on my music as a reminder to relax and enjoy myself during the exam.

Best of luck to everyone preparing for their exams!!

#93 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:28

I might write a little note to myself somewhere on my music as a reminder to relax and enjoy myself during the exam.

To get through a whole piano piece in a lesson, I actually marked places in the music for where to breathe!!! Yes, sounds daft, but I really wasn't breathing. Making sure I breathed in the right places and in the right way (out breath for the hard bits) really helped the nerves too.

Good luck to everyone!

Tezes - really sorry to read about your house move situation, for the exams, and for the house that you were hoping to move in to. I hope the exam goes well and I hope you find an even lovelier house soon.

BrokenChordsGirl - I hope you're feeling better now!

#94 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:49

EllieD

Thank you, my anxiety levels have reduced a little now so I'm hoping my concentration will also improve. Last week I was just going to cancel my exam altogether but now I've decided just to do it and if I fail then so be it but at least I'll have given it a chance, apart from which its a lot of money to throw away !!!!! :(

Hope all goes well for everyone else x

#95 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted Yesterday, 14:57

Had my grade 5 sax yesterday. Mostly fine I think. Scales, aural and sight reading went much better than I thought they would, which was relieving. Wasn't as happy with how my pieces went - they weren't bad at all, but they weren't great either.

The waiting game begins now. Good luck to everyone else :) 

#96 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted Yesterday, 16:06

Had my grade 5 sax yesterday. Mostly fine I think. Scales, aural and sight reading went much better than I thought they would, which was relieving. Wasn't as happy with how my pieces went - they weren't bad at all, but they weren't great either.

The waiting game begins now. Good luck to everyone else smile.png

Well done for performing better than anticipated in some part of the exam at least. :) I have G5 first week of December and I'm getting worked up about the aural and sight-reading. Bleurgh...

#97 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted Today, 02:09

The waiting game begins now. Good luck to everyone else smile.png

Well done for performing better than anticipated in some part of the exam at least. smile.png I have G5 first week of December and I'm getting worked up about the aural and sight-reading. Bleurgh...

I found the 'E Aural Trainer' videos on YouTube pretty helpful in preparing for grade 5 aural, there are videos on pretty much anything that they could ask for this grade (and for others), with lots of practice ones. I've always found it really hard to sing back the phrase they play in the first test (but somehow managed it on the day for what is, I'm sure, the first time ever!). I think it's a case of 'don't think, just do'

This link should cover all of them
https://www.youtube....OgWpFjo30zcKeAy

Hope that is of use :) 

#98 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted Today, 08:45

Thanks for that link, Gav! I'm not doing exams (at the moment) but will find that all really helpful for all round musicianship (and in case I do do an exam in the future!).

Sounds like your Sax exam went well, fingers crossed for a good result!! 

#99 chasing

chasing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Member: 899170

Posted Today, 09:19

Had my grade 8 piano today, weird to know that the exam came by faster than I ever thought it'd come by (time goes by fast!).

Went pretty mediocre headdesk.gif  Scales and arpeggios were good, but pieces... oh no.

Went too fast on Haydn and ended up being unsynchronized; literally hovered my hands across the keys for a few nice lines on Bach (not playing anything...) but the Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum was good clap.gif  Sight reading was easy but still do not know why my nerves took over me in the real playing making me skip numerous chords!? A big feeling must've just missed out on that Distinction I was working really hard towards to.

nevertheless, best of luck to those who still have exams upcoming and have a great upcoming holiday!