#1 drdavidlee

drdavidlee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 899168

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:54

Hello,
I plan to take ARSM organ, and I am seeking advice on the repertoire.

First of all, how would the difficulty of a piece affect the mark? Take J.S. Bach for example, the list allows choice from choral preludes which are relatively easy to handle to more serious prelude and fugues or trio sonata. If I can manage all these pieces, would playing an easier one result in a possibly lower mark?

The second question is about balance. I love the Clerambault Suite which will take up nearly 15 minutes, and one playing organ should not ignore Bach. Would that result in an imbalance even though I also choose some Romantic and modern pieces?

Finally, is a modern piece normally expected? Is it advisable to play Baroque, Classical and Romantic only?

Thanks. ????

David

#2 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:50

I'm forced to the conclusion that organ is not the AB's strong suit. The repertoire list hasn't changed in living memory and as you have found, the pieces often don't appear to have the same level of difficulty. I agree about the chorale preludes and trio sonatas. I learnt Wachet auf within a couple of weeks yet my copy of the E flat Trio Sonata was begun in 2012 and I still haven't mastered the thing. So which to offer?
The standard answer to these sort of queries when a piece once required for grade 4 suddenly appears in a grade 6 list is that performance is held to a higher standard; greater nuance and technical assurance is sought (or some such).
With diplomas this level of performance and preparatory scholarship should be expected though.
I asked the board if I could enter an own-choice piece -am enjoying Flor Peeters op 58 Variations and the last 3 are particularly satisfying -but the reply was that it must take up no more than 7 minutes of the programme. They were unhelpful as to the nature of the programme too, hinting that one of the factors in judging would be one's choices when putting together a recital.
I suppose if you stick to their list and observe the timing then you cannot be penalised even if you include a 15 minute piece.

#3 drdavidlee

drdavidlee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 899168

Posted 19 August 2018 - 23:53

Thank you Mel2.
You mentioned that the chosen repertoire should be one of the criteria.
You like Peeters, but do you think if it is ok for me to ignore 20th C works at all?

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17373 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:07

Pieces which are Baroque, Classical and Romantic should be fine. They are three different styles.  I also do no see why Bach should be regarded as compulsory. 

#5 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:34

Thank you Mel2.
You mentioned that the chosen repertoire should be one of the criteria.
You like Peeters, but do you think if it is ok for me to ignore 20th C works at all?

I think somtimes you have no choice. If you try to vary the rest of your programme you should get away with it, but it might stand you in good stead to have a mix of tonalities (unless you have a theme to your programme that calls for predominantly minor).
Perhaps you could find a very short humorous or ironically atonal lollipop of an own-choice as a quick 2 minute gesture at the end? I was thinking about Monnikendam's Toccata (the one that sounds unfinished) but can't use it if I'm doing the Peeters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ARSM, organ