juflute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Member: 326
  • Essex

Posted 16 September 2018 - 22:55

Dear all

My church anc community choir has a couple of opportunities coming up to perform an anthem at special services. I am scratching my head a bit to think of anthems we could sing. Ideally a cappella but accompanied ideas welcome too.

The first is ordination and first celebration of communion.

I am thinking about maybe " come holy ghost the maker come" (gibbons). For introit. But need something else during the service.

The other is for a retirement service. Maybe bob chilcott Irish blessing or "god so loved the world"

We are a modest choir of about a dozen SATB. Needs to be easy to learn.

In am feeling lacking in imagination. Any ideas welcome.

Thank you so much if you have suggestions.

Xx

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3247 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:19

Here are a few suggestions of simple items which our choir sing at church services. God be in my head by Walford Davies. Holy, holy, holy by Schubert adapted from Deutsche Messe. Lead me Lord by Samuel Wesley. Oculi omnium by Charles Wood. Ave verum by Elgar.All easy to learn. Also The Lord's my Shepherd by Howard Goodall.

#3 stetenorve

stetenorve

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3245 posts
  • Member: 60099
  • Bolsover, Chesterfield.

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:52

Locus Iste (Bruckner) is a superb SATB anthem for unaccompanied choir which is not too difficult to sing, but sounds "accomplished". The Mozart "Ave Verum" is a little masterpiece, but needs the accompaniment. We sang "O Lord, increase our faith" (Loosemore) last evening as an introit - lovely words, lovely melody.

The Tallis setting of "If ye love me" is a great a capella anthem for any occasion.

#4 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3276 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:39

I'd second If ye love me. Just done that with a very inexperienced choir and it worked well. It has the advantage that the soprano line doesn't go above a C but the alto line is 'quite interesting'. It's designed for equal voices so you can mix your sopranos and altos and have strong singers on each line.

#5 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14373 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 17 September 2018 - 22:14

OH suggests Zadok the Priest as perfect for the ordination, or How Beauteous are the Feet (Stanford).

For the retirement service - how about The Lord Bless You and Keep You (Rutter)?

smile.png