#1 sheephops

sheephops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 896031
  • Warwickshire

Posted 21 September 2018 - 16:50

I'm planning an FRSM programme for either the end of 2019 or Mid 2020 (yes, I like to be prepared), and have been in touch with the board for some guidance. I have read on here of people getting programmes 'approved'. I enquired after this and their response was thus;

"Unfortunately, we are unable to preapprove individual pieces/recital programmes as this forms part of the assessment criteria."

Have I missed something in the syllabus that says this?

#2 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4658 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 21 September 2018 - 17:44

I got the same answer when I asked about the suitability of a work that was not on the official list.
I hadn't seen it in the criteria either.
Haven't bothered to look since.

Not the most helpful (lack of) advice I've ever been given, but if that is their reply, (and that's two of us who have been given it,) it must be tucked away in the small print somewhere obscure.

Perhaps they only 'approve' pieces for grade exams. Does rather leave you open to an extremely expensive miscalculation. Win-win for the exam boards, though.

#3 The Land

The Land

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Member: 894690

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:19

On page 14 it states that "prior approval is not required" for the inclusion of own-choice items for FRSM. The same language is used for DipABRSM and LRSM. It might be more helpful if they said "prior approval is not required and will not be given"...

I think you must be confused with some of the other exam boards where programmes are approved in advance.

#4 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5984 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:14

I can confirm that Trinity requires pre-approval of any diploma programme that is not fully drawn from the set lists. Sorry, don't know about AB.

#5 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 22 September 2018 - 13:13

I have taken both an FRSM and an ATCL. Pre-approval is required only for Trinity. For my FRSM I just picked my own choice and presented it alongside two pieces from the syllabus. The examiner knew in advance what I was going to play because my programme was included in the written submission.

#6 sheephops

sheephops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 896031
  • Warwickshire

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:56

Thanks Folks, that's what I needed to know - must have heard some Trinity comments on here and assumed it was ABRSM. Silly me.

At least I know now!