#1 Bach's Garden

Bach's Garden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 899210

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:27

Hello.

I was thinking about trying a blind piano tuner, simply due to the idea that their tuning will sound better.
Has anyone found their tuning to be superior and are they normally able in removing the panels of the piano without help. I ask because the front of mine needs to be removed for tuning. The lid is connected to the whole front panel - it is too heavy for me to remove without risk of injury.

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3246 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:31

Maybe a blind tuner would have a developed sense of tune, but my piano tuner now uses an electronic device so can't think a blind tuner would be more accurate than that.

#3 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5970 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:45

I can't comment on the blind/non blind issue- however, what I've observed is that there seems to be some element of mechanical skill separate from the tuner's ability to hear how out of tune something is. I've had mine tuned enough times by the same set of tuners that I know now whose tuning persists for a couple of months, and whose goes out of tune within weeks. (All are sighted tuners who don't use electronic assistance).

Slightly related- years ago in Asia, our tuner used to use an oscilloscope! I guess they didn't have small electronic tuners then

#4 Bach's Garden

Bach's Garden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:43

Pleased to know there are others whos pianos go out of tune within weeks. I pay the tuner £50. Im considering trying to get used to an out-of-tune piano to save on the paying out.

#5 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5994 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:34

Piano-tuning used to be one of the occupation options for blind people in the past, not so sure it's that big a thing now. 

Electronic is not necessarily better than aural. A person can make adjustments that work on your piano that an electronic tuner can't. My tuner charges £75 now (I've been using him for about 15 years) and generally tuning is good for about 6 months, unless we get weird weather. 

#6 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 22 September 2018 - 19:28

We generally get the tuner in every six months. Always done by ear.

Even our old (very old, battered, been in the family for decapdes) upright was pretty stable.

BG - has your tuner given you any indication why your piano goes out of tune so quickly?

#7 Bach's Garden

Bach's Garden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 20:50

He says central heating will knock it out. (The room is central heated) He also claims tuning it is hard as the pins are stiff (piano only 4 years old). Probably the heat. It is never in what you'd call a cool room