Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5616 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:14

Hopefully your teacher can help you work towards achieving these notes, and also keep up your enjoyment of playing by working on other things, so that they don't become too much of a "thing". One of these days, you may well find that they just happen, you won't know what's changed, but suddenly you'll be able to play them and you won't look back.

I agree - it's so important to keep some time for just playing what you enjoy; after all, isn't that why you are learning flute? There have been plenty of things I have found really hard along the way on my flute journey - double tonguing, triple tonguing, vibrato - and top F when I was at that standard!!

I'm so glad you've decided to "plod on". Please don't compare yourself to your cousin who had no regrets. From what you have said in this thread, I think you might have regrets if you stopped now. You are absolutely right in saying that you cannot do everything and that too much stress will affect your health. So why not cut yourself some slack while your job is intensive? Shorter practice sessions can be just as beneficial, but I think you need to put back some enjoyment into them instead of beating yourself up over what you are finding difficult. Might your teacher play some duets with you? That's something my teacher suggested at times when I've been finding things tough or life is getting on top of me. It helps me to remember why I started this journey. 

#17 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 28 September 2018 - 21:44

Had my lesson and  was told that you do blow harder for the higher notes but at the same time you alter the shape of your lips

#18 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:12

Had my lesson and  was told that you do blow harder for the higher notes but at the same time you alter the shape of your lips

I do hope your teacher told you that you don't have to blow harder, but that you have to blow faster.

Here https://www.jennifer...om/articles.htm you will find great information by Jennifer Cluff on the playing of the flute. Like this article:

http://www.jennifercluff.com/tone.htm#highregister

#19 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 02 October 2018 - 19:08

why would   I post that my teacher said blow harder if that is not what the teacher said.    My teacher even wrote down in my note book blow harder.  There is also an old thread from this forum from a few years ago which I am reading where someone was having problems with high notes and people were posing some useful tips

#20 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 06 October 2018 - 18:21

When I learnt the flute (rather briefly - we had one of those middle-aged man peris who didn't last very long before he had a heart attack) I asked my friend who was a proper flautist how to get the second octave and she said, 'Think high', so I did, and it worked.

#21 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6180 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 06 October 2018 - 20:25

When I learnt the flute (rather briefly - we had one of those middle-aged man peris who didn't last very long before he had a heart attack)

"One of"? Is this common trait?

#22 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 06 October 2018 - 21:24

When I learnt the flute (rather briefly - we had one of those middle-aged man peris who didn't last very long before he had a heart attack)

"One of"? Is this common trait?

It seemed to happen an awful lot when we were growing up. My sister had several violin teachers who fell ill and left. I was a bit younger than her and just assumed that that was what happened if you were a peri! Unlike our private piano teacher who was about a hundred when she taught us in the seventies, and is still teaching now!

#23 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3247 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:28

I never got anywhere with the cello as a child because the peris were so short-lived (not literally).Each new one had different ideas and took me back to the beginning. At the two schools I go to, most of us have been there years. I've been at one for 18 years and the other 14.