#1 MaggieH

MaggieH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Member: 206317
  • Warwickshire

Posted 26 September 2018 - 15:24

Is anyone doing Grade 3 next year?  If so which pieces have you chosen. 

One of my pieces is Bransle de la torche,  and the last 10 bars   section is  really taxing me as far as getting my fingers in the right position quick enough and therefore lose timing and consistency.   

Other pieces I am doing is coming on fairly well.  

I have chosen  Shadows , and an alternative piece for section 3,  Wouldn't it be lovely.  very  nice indeed. But If I can't do the Bransle de la torche, then all is for nothing, even though I know I will get through the other pieces. 

sad.png

#2 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 26 September 2018 - 20:17

Yes, I am planning G3 piano next year.  I am doing Branle de la Torche, Hallelujah and Wouldn't It Be Loverly,  I have only really started the Branle properly.  The fingering for the last few bars in the right hand is exactly the same as for bars 21 to 24.  The rest just needs LOTS of slow hand separate practice to get the chord progressions.

#3 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:38

Yes, I too suggest going back and trying those passages really slowly. Is it the arpeggios that are causing problems? You have plenty of time before the exam, so don't worry about it, lots of slow playing should help. Does your teacher have any ideas? Often a simple change of fingering can help enormously!

#4 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:10

I'm aiming to sit grade 3 in the summer. I'm polishing off my Grade 2 work at the minute and have started looking at the Grade 3 stuff. I've decided to do Giga (A), which I've slowly started, The Old French Song by Tchaikovsky (B) and the Blues in the Attic ©. I was tempted by Dance (Bartok) for my C piece as the bass looked interesting (I have a think for chords) but the right hand is quite meh so I went with the Blues instead. Having said that I haven't done any work on it yet so my mind could change.

#5 MaggieH

MaggieH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Member: 206317
  • Warwickshire

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:57

Thank you for all you kind advice, yes I am practicing slowly the moment ,   it is working ok, but I feel I won't gain the correct speed, keeping the correct timing, but I will keep plodding on with it.     I have a tutor come every 2 weeks, and is due to see me today.  

EllieD,  Yes I have on occasion worked out  easier fingering in pieces.    I'll get back  to you and be more specific.  

Hennylemon,   I did try Giga too which  I think would seem manageable with practice .  But  I really like the lovely Renaissance dance, Bransle de la Torche.   Im ok with the first bit, but the last few bars and the rolled chords made my. heart sink.  crying.gif   I don't want to let this beat me.   It will be an achievement if I do it. 

Sylvette .  I am pleased that ,  Wouldn't it be lovely, is working going well for me, but I can't understand why that should be easier than the Bransle  de la Torche.     I have been practicing the  D A and F sharp   rolled notes , both hands,  at the end and the octave  A E A.  on the 31st. bar. 

Everyones advice keeps me going. Thank you.  wub.png

#6 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:24

I've played through Wouldn't It Be Loverly a few times but not started any real work on it yet.  I'm trying to get the A piece playable through first.  I don't think either of them is particularly easier than the others, I'm just not really into much classical music and prefer to play songs/dances.  I'm learning the chords straight at the moment, with the intention of putting in the arpeggiation once I am comfortable with finding the notes!

#7 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:36

Hennylemon,   I did try Giga too which  I think would seem manageable with practice .  But  I really like the lovely Renaissance dance, Bransle de la Torche.   Im ok with the first bit, but the last few bars and the rolled chords made my. heart sink.  crying.gif   I don't want to let this beat me.   It will be an achievement if I do it. 

I'm sure you can do it! I often motivate myself by thinking that the pieces that are the hardest to learn tend to be the most satisfying to play in the end.

#8 michael N

michael N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Member: 309573
  • W.York's UK.

Posted 01 October 2018 - 22:57

I'm aiming to sit grade 3 in the summer. I'm polishing off my Grade 2 work at the minute and have started looking at the Grade 3 stuff. I've decided to do Giga (A), which I've slowly started, The Old French Song by Tchaikovsky (B) and the Blues in the Attic ©. I was tempted by Dance (Bartok) for my C piece as the bass looked interesting (I have a think for chords) but the right hand is quite meh so I went with the Blues instead. Having said that I haven't done any work on it yet so my mind could change.

Just been through it (memorised, certainly not polished) but old french song is a lovely piece. Quite a few in that Tchaikovsky album are. Don't know if it's grade 3 but the one before (Italian song) is confusing my poor brain and fingers! 

#9 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:53

Don't know if it's grade 3 but the one before (Italian song) is confusing my poor brain and fingers!

I love Italian Song!  When I was around G2, I heard another forum member play it and it stuck in my head.  As soon I could, I learnt to play it.  That was several years ago and I still enjoy it.  It's worth persevering with smile.png