Photo

Teaching diploma - should I start on it?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2155 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 14 October 2018 - 21:13

It's interesting, as I have been asked about what qualifications I have, and so have local teaching friends. I agree that word of mouth recommendation is extremely powerful (as with most things) but I do also think that there seems to be a degree of local variation as well in terms of what works best and what doesn't. I agree with BadStrad about getting your name known locally and any playing opportunities are a brilliant idea. (Although I would have to add to that the best performers don't necessarily always make the best teachers!)

Local music shop- I wish- we haven't had one of those for years here! It did use to be a helpful source of new business. But over the years I've found that having a website, and making sure I'm on the free listings sites, netmums, and the local library database have been helpful. I don't use Facebook for my teaching at all at present but I do know other teachers have found it helpful.

Studying for a diploma is a longer term commitment anyway, so not something which would directly bring in new business straight away, I'd have thought- I'd say go for it if it's something you want to do for yourself, and for longer term benefits to your business, but research other options as people have suggested.

#17 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7079 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 14 October 2018 - 21:50

the local music service wanted someone who was qualified to teach, and could run ensembles as well. I just want to teach piano.) Approaching local schools directly didn't seem to work either. Most had all they needed. Or at least said so.

So a DipABRSM might lend more weight to my efforts to get this kind of work that I can do during the school day.

Did they specify what they meant by 'qualified to teach'?  The DipABRSM (teaching) does not actually qualify anyone as a teacher.  To be a qualified teacher you need to do a course which carries Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) e.g. a PGCE in instrumental teaching.  The DipABRSM does not in itself train you to teach (you have to do the training yourself and then it assess your existing skills) and it does not lead to QTS.  Some local authorities expect instrumental teachers to hold QTS, some don't.  You need to check exactly what qualifications your local authority music service expects.  

Our County music service expects its teachers to provide small group teaching and run ensembles.  Piano is not offered.  At primary school level, recorder, violin, guitar, ukulele, percussion, voice, clarinet and brass are offered in the County as a whole; but most schools will only offer a couple of these.  At secondary level, voice, strings (including guitar, excluding harp), percussion (excluding tuned percussion), wind and brass are offered.  Teachers are expected to be able to teach related instruments e.g. both violin and viola, multiple wind instruments.  They run ensembles in the schools where they teach and also contribute to the county ensembles and study days.  

I don't have a clue which of my instrumental teachers had done a teaching diploma.  I do know that, with the exception of my first flute teacher (who was rubbish), they were all competent to teach to grade 8 and beyond.  I would be put off if someone was only competent to teach up to grade 5.  I wouldn't be put off by them not holding a music diploma.  

#18 pianoviolinmum

pianoviolinmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Member: 895582

Posted 15 October 2018 - 13:28

They were not after PGCE necessarilily, but I can see that for orchestral instruments you'd need to be able to run sectional rehearsals etc.

Can I ask another question here, re teaching but not up to grade 8? I would also prefer any music teacher to be able to teach up to grade 8. Yet the DipABRSMtests teaching skills up to grade 6 (which I'm sure I could do) and requires grade 8 as a pre requisite. So it sounds as though ABRSM are happy with the idea of someone who has grade 8 teaching an instrument. But maybe it is in place knowing that that will happen, and wanting to improve and certify such activity?

A clarinet teacher might teach other wind instruments but pass oboe pupils on to an oboe teacher at some point before grade 8. I appreciate that it is the overall experience and overlap of skills that allows them to teach other wind instruments alongside clarinet, but does it not suggest that you do not necessarily need to have qualifications beyond grade 8 in order to teach (well) at a more elementary level? As someone has said, a good performer isnt necessarily a good teacher.

That said, I can have as an aim improving my playing and perhaps working for ARSM and maybe beyond.

#19 drummingman

drummingman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 899291

Posted 22 January 2019 - 15:31

I want to do the dipABRSM teaching on percussion or drum kit as I've heard some schools require it... Anyone know some one in dorset/wilts/hants that can help... Many thanks