Steven Carr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Member: 286204

Posted 18 October 2018 - 15:43

I don't like Hanon at all.

There are vast amounts of Czerny exercises but the ones I've done so far don't seem to have taught me all that much.

But I've just started the Kunz 200 short canons, and after doing only the first 17, I already feel my hand independence is much improved. 

#2 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1133 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2018 - 18:53

But I've just started the Kunz 200 short canons, and after doing only the first 17, I already feel my hand independence is much improved.

Thanks, Steven. Good to read you've discovered something that's helped you. Not heard of Kunz so will keep this in mind for when I reach that stage.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17128 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 18 October 2018 - 19:57

I have never done any of these exercises in my entire pianistic life from age 5 to 71  , and I play to approaching L dip standard.

#4 Steven Carr

Steven Carr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Member: 286204

Posted 18 October 2018 - 20:18

I have never done any of these exercises in my entire pianistic life from age 5 to 71  , and I play to approaching L dip standard.

They will be too easy for you. They only go up to grade 3. 

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17128 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 18 October 2018 - 21:01

They will be too easy for you. They only go up to grade 3. 

I believe there are some pretty fiendish studies by these guys. I was on a weekend course last weekend (all Grade8 + people) and many still used Hanon

#6 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:44

Well, if you want "studies" for more advanced pianists, then what about a nice Chopin Etude!! smile.png  (I would love to be able to play even a bar of one of those, the most perfect example of how to make something that's incredibly difficult and virtuosic also beautiful and musical.)

#7 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:15

Yes, Chopin Etudes are brilliant even if you can only struggle through them. 

I personally occasionally use Czerny Op 821  (160 8-bar exercises) suitable for around Grade 8 but like all exercises they can be made easier by playing hands separate or more slowly.  They don't take long to learn and give a good general work-out when practice time is short.

Like most teachers, I give pupils Burgmuller Op 100 to study variety of touch.  The notes are easy to learn (Grades 2-5) but they are much harder to play well and I usually give them to players of around Grade 6 level.  (By "touch" I mean ways of connecting notes with a gesture that produces the right combination of sounds, not some magical way of playing an individual key)