57 replies to this topic

#46 IHF

IHF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 503447

Posted 26 February 2019 - 21:13

Congratulations Clovis - and others indeed - on your results! Distinction at LRSM has me hugely in awe! 

(Also your posts on the subject of the viva  questions and content are much appreciated, and a useful corrective to my probably being rather more blasé than is merited!)

After a couple of years away from serious work (& the forums indeed), I’m finally plucking up courage to consider DipABRSM in piano. An initial punt at a programme would look like:
  • Debussy: La Cathédrale Engloutie
  • Beethoven: Sonata in E major, op.14 no.1
  • Sculthorpe: Night Pieces
  • Brahms: Capriccio in C major, op.76 no.8 (own choice strictly, as it’s on the LRSM list, *not* DipABRSM)

(which could end up being a bit short of the required 35 minutes (+- 10%). I need to do a bit more digging into likely timings)

I was keen to do the Haydn Variations in F minor, but encountered a degree of scepticism from my teacher, on the grounds of its being a work with too little variety of mood & texture to be an effective choice. Hence replacing, for now at least, with the Beethoven. 

Anyway if anyone has any feedback, I’d be grateful to hear it!

In the meantime, best wishes to all you others, considering this challenge ....   

MTIA

#47 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:42

I like your programme and the running order. I think starting with the Debussy is a clever choice because it's not too difficult and allows you to get to know unfamiliar pianos and the acoustics of the room you're playing in. 

Regarding time concerns- the best advice I've heard is to prepare backup pieces from the outset. I've heard a few stories of people who finish learning their diploma pieces, realise they need to switch one of them, start learning a new piece from scratch, get bored of their finished pieces in the process. You don't want to be that person!

#48 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17376 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:32

Way back in 1963 when I did ALCM, my teacher made me learn 2 pieces in A and B lists, and 3 for list C..  Two Bach P & Fs,   Beethoven Op10 No 2 and Mozart K309.  Chopin C Minor Polonaise and F Minor Nocturne, and a Mendelssohn Song without Words in Aflat ('Duetto'). We made the final decision only abut 3 week before the exam. (Gee thats 56 years ago in a couple of weeks)

#49 IHF

IHF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:44

Many thanks for the feedback.

That point about using the first piece to get the measure of the instrument and the room is a good one, Invidia. I must admit I had been thinking more about the balance and coherence of the programme, rather than that sort of pratical concern.  

#50 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 28 February 2019 - 14:26

As it's ABRSM rather than Trinity, then the total timing for the whole recital is what is counted, not the individual pieces. So the gaps between pieces and movements all count. In your case, as you are changing the sound-worlds quite dramatically, you will need to build in some fairly long gaps between pieces, and also pace the individual movements of the Sculthorpe quite carefully. This is something you can talk about in your viva (keep it up your sleeve for the 'And do you have anything else to add?' question). I had to practise taking long, deep breaths between my pieces to stop me rushing from work to work and spoiling the atmosphere I'd just worked so hard to create. It was surprisingly difficult to do at first

I like the order very much, and agree that the Debussy is a good start. Would Bach work instead of the Beethoven (if you're looking for other suggestions, and like Baroque)? It would go well with those chorale-like passages in la Cathedrale and contrast well with the Sculthorpe.

#51 IHF

IHF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 23:05

Thanks, Clovis, for those points. One of the things I absolutely need to do is to work on that issue of pacing and allowing time between works. I am aware of the need to do it, but then often let it all go to pot in the heat of the moment when actually performing.

(I hadn't considered that issue in relation to space between movements within the Sculthorpe. That's a very helpful point to go away and consider)

As regards repertoire, these days, I'm really rather "baroque-averse" - very different from my adolescent self of some forty years back! For myself, I'm quite happy with steering my programme away from the baroque period. Though I wonder if that could prompt questions in the viva about meeting the requirement for "... a generalist programme that offers a wide-ranging yet coherent mixture of periods, style, mood and tempo, ...". 

#52 jovy

jovy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Member: 8094

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:01

I just got my results and I'm so happy that I passed FRSM in Piano Performance!!!

#53 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:42

Wow congratulations!

I just got my results and I'm so happy that I passed FRSM in Piano Performance!!!

#54 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 08 March 2019 - 13:40

Wonderful! What did you play, and what now?

#55 jovy

jovy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 13:47

Thank you so much!

Wow congratulations!

#56 jovy

jovy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 13:50

Hi Virtuoso! I played an all Beethoven program.. Appassionata and Les Adieux.

I'm planning to work on some lighter repertoire perhaps Scarlatti and would probably concentrate more on the violin hehe (not a good violinist)

Wonderful! What did you play, and what now?

#57 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1824 posts
  • Member: 33716

Posted 08 March 2019 - 16:17

Congratulations !

#58 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2019 - 16:39

Congratulations to everyone on your results!