#61 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7304 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 24 December 2018 - 16:37

Well I thought about a turkey, a capon, a Bresse chicken,  - even an ordinary chicken. But in the end I have decided on   quails - one each.  Bit smaller than a turkey but I couldn't face the thought of finding the rest of that at the bottom of the freezer in a few years' time.

#62 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6425 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 24 December 2018 - 17:06

Picked up our Crown from M & S, and was a normal turkey missing legs and wings.  Should have been 3.1 - 3.6 kilos.  Ours is right at the bottom level so rather smaller than we were anticipating.  Still should feed 9 Christmas Day (2 are young granddaughters)  and some left for Boxing Day (7 of us) as we are cooking a gammon joint too. 

Yes - F#minor. My M&S turkey crown was also at the bottom end of the spectrum, but I didn't want to go into the larger banding.  Looks as though one of us will be joining the pescatarian - probably me - with some salmon on Boxing day - but it can be augmented by stuffing of which there will be plenty.

#63 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6425 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 24 December 2018 - 17:08

Well I thought about a turkey, a capon, a Bresse chicken,  - even an ordinary chicken. But in the end I have decided on   quails - one each.  Bit smaller than a turkey but I couldn't face the thought of finding the rest of that at the bottom of the freezer in a few years' time.

I had guinea fowl at a restaurant earlier in December. I wasn't quite sure what it would be like, but it was just like a mini chicken, so if you're ever stuck again I recommend guinea fowl on some kind of jus with root ginger. Yum!

#64 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4684 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 24 December 2018 - 17:53

Have decided to ride the wave and brine the beast. It meant an emergency dash to Sainsburys for a drum of sea salt, but the crown is now submerged in a bucket of brine with added herbs, onion and black treacle.
It may look lke nothing on earth but here's hoping it will taste ok. Good luck with your various fowl, fish etc folks, and have a happy Christmas!

#65 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17252 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 24 December 2018 - 19:13

I had guinea fowl at a restaurant earlier in December. I wasn't quite sure what it would be like, but it was just like a mini chicken, so if you're ever stuck again I recommend guinea fowl on some kind of jus with root ginger. Yum!

I love Guinea Fowl, not had one for some time.. Some years ago I attended a luncheon at the Grosvenor Hotel in London.  Over 100o present. How on earth did they  manage to cook 1000 portions of guinea fowl ?

#66 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7304 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 23:10

We do eat guinea fowl quite often here -  the ones we get are more or less the same size as a chicken. I like it better than chicken but my companion isn't very keen.  As it turned out one quail would have been enough. There are two halves left! So I suppose we'll finish them tomorrow. it really was a mini Christmas meal. Oh, I should explain - the Christmas meal here in France is eaten on Christmas Eve so we had ours earlier this evening.

#67 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:59

Vegetarian - I used to make a nut-loaf in a kind of brioche. But a while ago I came across the Hairy Biker's nut-loaf and they use spelt which I thought was a brilliant idea so I modified their recipe to put more flavour in the loaf rather than in the gravy and hey presto a really interesting vegetarian loaf which slices really well especially when it's cold.We skipped Christmas pud this year as we've both decided we don't like it! It's taken us long enough to realise though...

#68 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7304 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:20

I miss Christmas pudding. Love it!

#69 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2448 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:26

We love Chrismation pudding. We have it all year round!

#70 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:46

My very high % Rumtopf that I started laying down in early summer is rapidly shrinking. Hoping to save enough of it to make a sozzly trifle for my birhday in January, which is on the first day of school term, so I'll deserve it!