#16 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:29

Most things are manageable if you miss out some of the notes! I always play what I want and just go for it - even if you perform it, nobody ever notices! 

#17 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:33

I'm glad about that, zwhe! I don't want to miss out on things I want to play just because I don't have big hands!! Being creative with fingerings and pedals - that has to be the way forward!

#18 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19764 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:17

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have quite a few of the items mentioned (Scarlatti, Brahms and Bartok Mikrokosmos) so will dig them out and have a play.

The Poulenc Nocturnes sound lovely, maggiemay. I'd appreciate it if you would give them the once-over for stretchiness, as I don't want to waste money (especially the amount you have to pay for French music!) if I find I can't play them.

.....,etc. ?

Thanks Corenfa (sorry, have only just seen your post). In fact I came back to say I have just had a slightlly more circumspect look through three of the nocturnes, and yes, there are quite a lot of large-ish chords. Maybe not ideal for you, on second thoughts, although you can get by with spreading many of them, as I do. Agree about the cost - my copy was nealy £20, and I’ve had it a while.

#19 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5986 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 11 December 2018 - 13:44

I was trying to work out how I don't remember how expensive the Poulenc was, but now I've remembered the provenance of mine- it was given to me by forum member oldnotes who was distributing a rather large amount of music from a deceased friend. So I never paid for it. Thank you again oldnotes!

#20 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17198 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 11 December 2018 - 13:51

Most French published music seems overly expensive !

#21 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 11 December 2018 - 14:05

I've just come back from my lesson and my teacher has kindly lent me his copies of Visions Fugitifs and Debussy Preludes so that I can assess them for playability. He thought that the Poulenc was probably too stretchy as well, so I've shelved that idea for now.

We have agreed that I will start work on a Mozart Sonata, probably K. 311 as my big project, and will learn a few easier, shorter Romantic pieces alongside it. He has also suggested I look at some of the Shostakovich op.34 Preludes and/or the Bartok Dances in Bulgarian Rhythm. We've also discussed more Bach (either another P&F or some movements from one of the French Suites) and possibly a look at some of the Beethoven op. 126 Bagatelles.

Thanks for all your suggestions; I now have a very long 'short' list. :D

#22 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5986 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:58

I wonder if you would like the Mozart K332 and K333 sonatas. I think K332 was nicely manageable for Grade 8 years back when I did it though it took a long time to learn the entire sonata. K333, I think, is harder than K332 though both are on the ATCL list. K333, the B flat major sonata, is fun to play if you can pull off the flamboyant bits. 

#23 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:45

Funnily enough we discussed both of those yesterday, corenfa. The Bb major K 333 is definitely in the running, and I played through some of it yesterday evening. I couldn't start looking at K 311 as I found I only have vol. 2 of the Mozart sonatas (ABRSM edition), and so vol 1 has been ordered as part of my Christmas present from my OH. smile.png

I know the first movement of K 332 quite well, as it was on the Grade 8 syllabus when I first started working towards it before abandoning piano so that I could concentrate on my flute LRSM. I was intending to work on the whole sonata but I'm not all that keen on the other movements. So it won't be my first choice this time unless I come a cropper with the other two! I'm going to look at both K 311 and K 333 and make a choice when I've had a bit of a play with them. smile.png

#24 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17198 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:46

You may not believe this but when I did LCM Grade 4 in about 1959, I played 1st mvmt of K332 for Grade 4 !!  Sound ridiculous I know, but as I also remember which sonata movements I played for Grade 5 (Beethoven Op 79 3rd mvmt) and 6 (Beethoven Op10 no 3 Minuet and trio). I am sure I am not mistaken.. I never did Gr 7 and 8 and went straight to ALCM in 1963

#25 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:58

I've realised something very interesting. I was drawn to K 311 more than the other possible sonatas because it reminded me very much of the flute concertos, especially the D major flute concerto which I played for my LRSM. I've just realised that the flute concertos are K 313 and K 314, so the similarity is not a coincidence - they were all composed at the end of 1777. :)