Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5700 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 17 December 2018 - 17:55

It doesn't sounds like any of the common forms of synaesthesia, but there are over 80 known types and some are rare.  But really, it doesn't matter what we label it, the pupil has Problem X and is under medical supervision for a number of things including X.  We don't need to re-diagnose smile.png

The only time the name might actually matter is if AB want a 'label' rather than a description of the problem, when it comes to assessing how they can meet his needs - but I'd hope that 'what the problem is [and how can we work around it]' will be of more importance than 'what's the problem called'.

Thanks, Maizie, for your very practical post. Unfortunately, it doesn't list synaesthesia under the special needs section of AB's website, so - if I can get a clearer picture of how it affects him, and a letter from a suitable person - I will have to contact them direct. Thank you to all for the feedback.

#17 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2448 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 17 December 2018 - 18:02

It doesn't sounds like any of the common forms of synaesthesia, but there are over 80 known types and some are rare.  But really, it doesn't matter what we label it, the pupil has Problem X and is under medical supervision for a number of things including X.  We don't need to re-diagnose smile.png

The only time the name might actually matter is if AB want a 'label' rather than a description of the problem, when it comes to assessing how they can meet his needs - but I'd hope that 'what the problem is [and how can we work around it]' will be of more importance than 'what's the problem called'.

Thanks, Maizie, for your very practical post. Unfortunately, it doesn't list synaesthesia under the special needs section of AB's website, so - if I can get a clearer picture of how it affects him, and a letter from a suitable person - I will have to contact them direct. Thank you to all for the feedback.

I guess that's because it isn't usually seen as a problem. Mine is certainly life enhancing, rather than being a special need.

#18 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 18 December 2018 - 22:16

I'm pretty sure that the condition described in the original post is an 'eye migraine'. I get them from time to time and they last for around 20 minutes and then disappear. For the first time recently, I had one while I was teaching, which did make reading the music quite difficult for a while!  

#19 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3340 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:42

It could be but I read it as a condition that was there all the time . You would be unlucky to have an eye migraine during your exam.

#20 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5700 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 19 December 2018 - 15:49

It could be but I read it as a condition that was there all the time . You would be unlucky to have an eye migraine during your exam.

Yes, I believe it is there most of the time, but intermittently. As far as I know, it has been diagnosed as synaesthesia. I will have to ask some more questions after Christmas.