Photo

String quartet - is there value is rehearsing as a 3tet?!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PaulM

PaulM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 38984

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:06

Hello

I play in an amateur string quartet and we've started rehearsing for a recital in the middle of next year (the time will no doubt fly by!). We will be having a break as a quartet in the early part of next year as our 1st violinist will be having a baby - which is, of course, great news.

In people's experience, is there value in the rest of us rehearsing as a three? I'd like to but having no 1st violin is definitely going to sound different. But I'm thinking that there must be some gains to us in concentrating on our ensemble, dynamics etc. And there will be a few tunes to be shared around!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:14

Could you not find some string trios to play until your violinist rejoins you?

#3 PaulM

PaulM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 38984

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:58

As we're looking to be able to perform 90 minutes of music in public then the decision is either going to be practise our own parts or home practise and the three of us meeting up. We don't really want to find dates or venues to play through other music - at least not yet!

#4 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 18 December 2018 - 13:42

It's just an intermediate between playing your parts at home and playing as a 4. I'm sure there's value in it. You might need to flit between Vln 1 and 2 a bit.

#5 tulip21

tulip21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Member: 898887

Posted 18 December 2018 - 17:51

Yes, I think there is still value in working on quartet repertoire as a trio. You might want to meet less often and rehearse to iron out inner-voice issues and for maintenance. You could do some string trios for fun only. No need to bring them to performance standard. The whole idea is to have fun.

#6 Kai-Lei

Kai-Lei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Member: 4809

Posted 18 December 2018 - 18:20

Isn't it possible to find a pianist or, say, clarinettist to substitute for the part so that you can practice as a quartet? Not perfect but workable.

When part of a wind quintet we did this until finding an oboist. 

#7 Kai-Lei

Kai-Lei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Member: 4809

Posted 01 January 2019 - 15:41

Looks like I have the same problem now. Composed a song for mezzo and ensemble (well,.hoping to put together 4 songs as a set) but there's a chance to get this one performed around mid-summer. But we haven't yet got a double-bassist nor a singer who can carry the line. Thankfully we know a Cor Anglais player who has offered to fill in as the mezzo for practice. Same sort of tessitura. (Not sure what to do about the bass yet but will have to get by with a piano for the essential bits). It'll get done! 

#8 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2536 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:52

My barbershop quartet still rehearse if one of us is away. It's rarely more than two rehearsals in a row, but always worthwhile rehearsing. Otherwise we would miss our cake and chat...