#16 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:47

Happy New Year to all....

I played some Mozart yesterday - it was excruciating. So my first Resolution is to go back to some of the more accessible sonata movements. But not before I have reacquainted myself with some SCALES. My second Resolution is to not to give up piano entirely.

Anyway, I have some accompaniment duties this year so will have top plod on, but generally I would like to play some more chamber music.

#17 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:53

Happy New Year everyone.

My resolution is to find more practice time. A very open ended statement... However last year I moved house and somehow I've not found a rhythm for music practice, fitness classes, yoga, etc. I think it affected my mood certainly at the end of autumn and into December. The challenge is to slim down my activities a bit, plus a bit better timekeeping, to increase available practice time. Half an hour a day at least. Would like it to be an hour which may happen but not every day. I am currently doing a work-related online course which will limit available time but only until mid-March.

My other resolution is to buy fewer books/CDs/LPs. I get tempted by book reviews, CD reviews etc but I am so busy (see above) that sitting and listening time is harder to find, for the recordings I already own (rather a LOT) without buying any more.

#18 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 02 January 2019 - 14:32

Not exactly a New Year's resolution as I planned it at the start of December and am already a bit behind where I wanted to be but I intend to learn the music for the rehearsals I accompany as early as possible and definitely well in advance of the rehearsal requiring it!

Unfortunately I have tended to rely on my sight-reading a little too much - it's good but the level of music is increasing in difficulty; this term it's Rossini Petite Messe Sollenelle and Will Todd's Mass in Blue. Obviously I've started with the Todd since it looked horrifically complicated but thankfully so far (up to mvmt 3) any awkward rhythms are repeated a lot so I just hope it sticks in the brain. Still a fair few nasty jazz chords - 5 fingers all close together with several accidentals to challenge. 

Mind you that's just the accompaniment, there's still the long-term goal of getting proficient at open score reading for parts

I am also looking to upgrade my keyboard rig, mostly used for musicals (as part of the orchestra) and have managed to blag an invitation to sit with the assistant md (playing keyboard4) of Wicked in Manchester tomorrow night to see examples of what some pro setups look like in action and hopefully answer a few technical questions.

#19 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5741 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 January 2019 - 15:47

Grade 2 organ is hopefully on the agenda for the summer session.....unsure.png

Other musical challenges are just to be more disciplined about practice. A lot of things derailed it last year. 

#20 emmjay

emmjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 897192

Posted 04 January 2019 - 20:41

I am going to take a break from piano exams (just did G6 in Dec) and try the 40 piece challenge in 2019. I have a list of pieces of varying difficulty that I want to tackle. My teacher is as excited as I am because she’s never tried it before either!

#21 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 09 January 2019 - 23:42

A bit late to the party here as I was on holiday,

My musical goals this year are to improve my technique on clarinet and actually take it more seriously.

Also get better at my other instruments.

I also want to start music teaching but have absolutely no idea how to get started