#1 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:51

Does anyone have any experience of these - I've had a pupil turn up with one, and she is really struggling to get the low octave to work. I had a go, and found it difficult compared to other flutes, and almost impossible when I try to do the lowest few notes - I could hardly get a sound on middle C. I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, so is this normal for these? If so, they are completely useless as a beginner instrument!

#2 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 899283

Posted 21 January 2019 - 14:39

Hi - I've never seen one in the flesh as it were, but was curious about them for some friends running a music programme on a very tight budget in another country. I'd love to hear more feedback, as I thought the whole point of them was it was EASIER for young beginners? 

#3 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 21 January 2019 - 14:46

Not from what I can tell - however, the just flutes apprentice flute is wonderful and cheaper - I have a 7 year old and a 5 year old using them and the are easy to play, light weight and responsive - they have an excellent dynamic range and could probably be used well beyond the grade three limit set by the AB for curved-heads (except for the lack of trill keys and the bottom C and C# which are missing).

#4 ellie_the_little_elephant

ellie_the_little_elephant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Member: 45895
  • Manchester

Posted 23 January 2019 - 00:30

I have a nuvo flute, with a curved headjoint, all the key extensions on it etc. (My parents bought it for Christmas for my son several years ago) With the normal lip-plate I can force it to at least two octaves of B major, but with the lip-plate that has a recorder-style embouchure hole on top, it keeps dropping an octave and as I’m not a recorder-player I have no clue how to make the transition. The keys feel quite spongy.
My son could (from the age of 5, when we got it) use the recorder-embouchure-hole-lip-plate (!) to get a consistent sound on his very first try.