#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 27 January 2019 - 20:53

Can anyone recommend a good quality adjustable folding music stand?   Mine was cheap and flimsy and is now broken.   One of the screws that allow the height to be adjusted will no longer strew in so you cannot adjust the height.

I need one that is more sturdy but at the same time does not cost too much and mine was so flimsy it was wobbly when you put a book on it and it was just a waste of money but all the music schools seem to use these stands.  I would never buy one again

https://www.google.c...xkugaONMnFkYNM:

#2 gemmasue

gemmasue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:46

K and M (sorry can’t remember what initials stand for!) do good stands. They have them on music room website for just over £20- is that too expensive? I’m on my second one now. First lasted a good 5 years at least- that included lots of use at band rehearsals and gigs. You can also get carry cases/bags for them.

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3892 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:51

I have a Hercules folding stand. Very robust but also light. Telescopic action rather than screws. Think it was around £20 - £30.

#4 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 27 January 2019 - 22:08

I have a RAT jazz stand. I know you said not too expensive and they're not cheap at around £80 but I've had mine for nearly ten years and it's as good as it ever was. A sound investment. VERY sturdy and folds comfortably into a Tesco canvas 'bag for life'.

#5 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 27 January 2019 - 22:08

Thanks I will have a look.   £20 is not too much because if you think about it, it will last longer than two cheap ones which end up costing more than the one for £20.   Mine cost £12 and if I buy another one of the same price it will be £24 and probably break soon.   I had mine for about two months crying.gif

I saw the k and m stand and it looks similar to the one I had and I would not buy online because I would need to inspect it first.   I will go to a music shop when I have time.   I bought mine from  a local music shop and it was all they had and so as I really needed a stand i thought oh well its better than nothing but I will not make that mistake again.  Music is important to me so it is worth investing in quality equipment 

#6 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 27 January 2019 - 22:12

I have a Hercules which is tough as old boots and has a one handed height adjustment (press a thumb release and move the tube up and down). Nice to use but it's pretty heavy. K&M do some very nice lightweight ones - normal "screw lock" adjusters but they seem nicely made.

#7 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6082 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:11

I use a Hercules orchestra stand - not cheap and not light, but well made. 

#8 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3704 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:03

I have a K&M folding stand and it has done a great job to date. Other reputable brands include Hercules and Tiger. There will be many others.

If you go to a music shop you will be very limited in choice as they will likely only stock a couple of models. The choice online is endless.

#9 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:39

Online companies seem to have pretty good returns options, so if you didn't like a stand you bought from them it should be easy to send back. Check before buying of course. Or maybe (having researched it) try and order the one you like through your local music shop to help keep these valuable retail outlets alive! If you don't need to carry it around with you, a nice solid heavy one sounds like the option, especially if you want to put music books on it. 

#10 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3892 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:54

Anything valued at £42 or more, "bought at distance" (internet, phone, etc) can be returned to the company for a full refund. In my experience, reputable companies allow refunds for items valued below this limit. The buyer is required to pay return postage, unless (a) the vendor states otherwise in their terms and conditions or (b) the item is faulty/unfit for purpose or otherwise doesn't match the description.

#11 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5785 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:39

Another vote for the Hercules stand here. I bought one when my current, more flimsy portable stand broke last year. People who see it are impressed - and so am I. It stays put where you want it without the music floating down before your eyes as the legs splay out or screws fail to function. It comes in a smart bag, and although it's a tad heavier then other stands, it's worth every penny. I would buy the same again if I ever needed one.

#12 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 26 February 2019 - 14:24

K&M is Koenig and Meyer - https://www.k-m.de/en. They are highly regarded and also make good microphone stands.

I have a couple of Tiger orchestrals - the first arrived slightly lop-sided, so they sent me a replacement, but I think I managed to straighten the first one by brute force. In fact I mainly use it on grass anyway, lol! They are excellent, but a bit heavy for carrying to a gig.

#13 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1898 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:48

Mine's a Stentor. Its only downside is that it's not magnetic, so I would need clips to stop sheet music being blown off.