hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 05 February 2019 - 00:45

Satie, Gymnopedie 1

My teacher did explain how to play the following bars but I can't remember what he said.  If anyone has the music, I'd be grateful if you could explain before my next lesson so that I can practise it correctly:

The Schirmer edition, Bars 9, 10, 11, 12.  In the RH, F# is dotted minims tied across all 4 bars.  Also in the RH, those 4 bars have a minim chord which is [rest]BDF# / [rest]AC#F# ; [rest]BDF# / [rest]AC#F#. 

In other words, the F# is not only a tied note across all 4 bars, it's also in each individual chord.  So do you press the F# in each chord, and if so, why does Satie also have it as a tied note.  On the other hand, if you don't press the F# each time because the pedal retains the tied note, why does he put it in the chord.

I hope this is clear wacko.png

#2 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:13

You could pedal through that, I think. Change the pedal every bar (to accommodate the LH) while briefly holding down the F# in the RH so that the pedal picks that note up too, so carrying on the tie through the bars. This effectively refreshes the F# every bar, while also allowing it to be part of the chord.

I think that would work?

It's a lovely piece, I think it sounds easier than it really is!

#3 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 05 February 2019 - 13:28

I take these four chords in the RH, replaying the F# in each chord but then releasing the bottom two notes on the first beat of the next bar (on the crotchet rest) at the same time as the pedal change.  That way the F# also sound continuously.  You can do the same method using LH for the chords but retaking the F# in the RH just before the pedal change and without sounding it again. 

So on each first beat you should be hearing just the held F# and the bass note G or D sounding and on the second beat the bass note holding plus the 3-note chord sounding.

#4 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 06 February 2019 - 18:04

Thank you both for this advice which is very helpful smile.png