Tortellini

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Member: 8579
  • Italy

Posted 18 February 2019 - 15:24

It is a tool and a technique that aids sight-singing, dictation, understanding of intervals, chords, harmony, scales.  It develops inner hearing and harmonic hearing, and actually helps you to perceive music in quite a different way.   Difficult to describe in words.

I need to learn this so badly! I think it is at the heart of why, despite playing the piano for decades, I don't feel like a musician and can't sight sing or sight read very well. I have been wanting to go on a Kodaly course since finding out about them from Cyrilla a few years back but sadly, due to family commitments, I just can't at the moment. Do any online courses exist?

#32 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 18 February 2019 - 19:52

I'm exactly the same (apart from i have money issues which means i can't afford it)

Every time Cyrilla advertises a Kodaly course, it makes me want to do a course even more

#33 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14579 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 18 February 2019 - 23:50

Tortellini - there actually is one, set up by a friend of mine, Christopher Sutton, who runs Musical-U. I did some work with him on setting it up but I haven't actually looked at the whole thing yet.

Alternatively (because I still think in-person is better) there are those of us who teach by skype - drop me a PM if you're interested smile.png. Same goes for Rach123 smile.png.

I really do recommend the documentary that I posted a link to on the Teachers' Forum, for anyone who wants to develop an understanding of what this whole Kodály thing is. It's waaaaay bigger than sight-singing - but I couldn't have learned to sight-sing without stumbling across it all those years ago... *feels ancient*.

smile.png

#34 Tortellini

Tortellini

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Member: 8579
  • Italy

Posted 04 March 2019 - 15:48

Alternatively (because I still think in-person is better) there are those of us who teach by skype - drop me a PM if you're interested

Thanks! Thinking about it though, I am not sure that I could dedicate enough time to it at the moment to make a lesson worthwhile - am having problems keeping up with piano as it is!  I had a look at the website you recommended but you can't sign up for the time being as all the courses are full - must be good! I will keep on looking to see if I can make it to one of the "real" courses though - I agree that it would be more rewarding to do it in person.