#1 clarry

clarry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 133355

Posted 17 February 2019 - 17:28

Hello, Everyone,

I'm in despair, because, despite playing for a number of years, and doing a fair amount of practice, I still can't seem to play fast on the clarinet, and can't work out why, really.  I can only get the 3rd mvt of the Weber concerto I'm doing up to crotchet 80 (should be 120).  At this speed the semiquavers don't sound too bad, I suppose, but when I get to the bit in the middle with minims and crotchets, it seems deathly slow.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I just can't work out what to do about it (exam in a few weeks!!).  I can play fast on the piano without any problems.

Clarry

#2 tulip21

tulip21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Member: 898887

Posted 17 February 2019 - 18:05

I'm just curious. Do you have trouble tonguing fast enough or is it the fingerings?

#3 clarry

clarry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 18:54

It’s definitely the fingering. I think sometimes it’s because it’s kind of negative - lifting up fingers instead of putting them down.

#4 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:24

What does your teacher say about your tempo? Remember we have already discovered ABRSM suggested tempos are notoriously on the fast side, so I would be happy for 100 to replace 120 … but you're right, 80 does probably indicate that you need a bit more technique to pull that piece off. You will get there I am sure! Especially as you know your fingers are fine from piano experience. But different instruments may just mean the brain needs to learn what to do all over again.

Is there any reason why you needed to Grade 8 now, as if you leave it for another 6 months / year you'd have more chance of the technique catching up with the rest of your playing?

I'm sure a musical performance even at a slower speed would still be enough to pass though! 

(PS, I've discovered by trying those scales a third apart that playing the piano is just as much about taking your fingers off as it is about putting them down …. Ahem!!  smile.png  )

#5 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:22

On the violin and the piano I have found the quickest way to dexterity is four or five finger exercises - boring but do the job.  So Scevcik for violin and Hanon for piano.  Have you tried the Jeanjean Vade Mecum ? A friend of mine used to swear by them.

#6 clarry

clarry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 15:48

Thanks very much for those helpful suggestions - I’ll follow up on them (must admit I’ve got the Vade Mecum but not spent enough time on it!).

#7 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 18 February 2019 - 19:06

Have you tried the passagework rhythmically?  as in dum di dum di dum then reverse it di dum di dum di dum.  And then different 4 note rhythm patterns for more variation if needed.  I think the reason these patterns help is that you practise every other note change fast rather than all of them at once!  Good luck.

#8 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22911 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 05 March 2019 - 19:48

Another way of working up speed is to start at a speed you can play it correctly (always a good plan) and slowly work it up with the aid of a metronome. One suggestion for that it 5 times at one speed then move up. If this isn't one of the things your teacher ha already suggested you can add it to your list of ways to increase speed.