143 replies to this topic

#136 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:17

Congratulations hennylemon, a great result :)

#137 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:54

Congratulations hennylemon, a great result smile.png

Thanks ABN :) 

#138 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 02 August 2019 - 14:13

I'm finally off the bench. My teacher sent me a screenshot of my results: 132. My list C piece (Blues in the attic) seems to have been my best but overall my marks across the different parts of the exam are quite consistent. 

I have signed up to the e-Music maestro website now to keep on improving my aural. I've enjoyed it so far, and it's definitely better than the ABRSM aural app, which has very limited examples of the tests.

Congratulations hennylemon! 

#139 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 02 August 2019 - 15:15

I'm finally off the bench. My teacher sent me a screenshot of my results: 132. My list C piece (Blues in the attic) seems to have been my best but overall my marks across the different parts of the exam are quite consistent. 

I have signed up to the e-Music maestro website now to keep on improving my aural. I've enjoyed it so far, and it's definitely better than the ABRSM aural app, which has very limited examples of the tests.

Excellent!  Have you looked at the G4 pieces yet?  There are some real gems at G4 on this syllabus.  I love the selections by Benda, Diabelli, and Haydn on the A list, the selections by Carroll, Grieg, Elgar, and Kullak on the B list, and Gillock and Crossland on the C list.  My favorites are probably Carroll (The Reef) and Gillock (Holiday in Paris).

#140 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 02 August 2019 - 15:46

Congratulations hennylemon! 

Excellent!  Have you looked at the G4 pieces yet?  There are some real gems at G4 on this syllabus.  I love the selections by Benda, Diabelli, and Haydn on the A list, the selections by Carroll, Grieg, Elgar, and Kullak on the B list, and Gillock and Crossland on the C list.  My favorites are probably Carroll (The Reef) and Gillock (Holiday in Paris).

Thank you both!

Dr. Rogers, I have the G4 book and have listened to all the pieces, but I haven't started learning anything yet (except for the List B Tchaikovsky piece but I didn't realise it was in the syllabus when I started). I agree that there are some truly beautiful pieces there, and I'd like to learn quite a few of them just for their own sake. I love all of the B List pieces to be honest, but would say that the one by Carroll is probably my favourite, too. I love the drama and the dynamic contrasts. List A also has more interesting options than the earlier syllabi. At the moment I'm intrigued by the pieces by Benda and Bach. Not sure about the C List yet. 'Holiday in Paris' seems like an easily likeable option (and a real crowd pleaser) but I quite enjoy learning pieces that are a little bit more obscure. But before anything else, I'm going to learn some other rep first before diving in with the G4 syllabus.

#141 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1331 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2019 - 18:48

Well done! A solid result.  Congratulations, HL.

#142 thara96

thara96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 03 August 2019 - 13:26

Congratulations! This is great news. 

#143 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:43

Top tip!! I was wanting something for semi-sight reading / playing to a higher level so treated myself to the Grade 4 book. Doesn't have all the pieces you mention of course, but has most. I've done my semi-sight reading on the Benda and love it! Reminds me of the lovely Krebs piece from the previous syllabus. So will try and get this up to as perfect as I can manage, and will enjoy trying the others. 

Though while I was in the shop, I foolishly also picked up the Grade 5 book, took one look at the Sibelius, thought - I must try that - so I had to buy that too! smile.png

#144 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:14

Congratulations, hennylemon, brilliant result!