Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 06 June 2019 - 14:00

Thank you!

I'm doing Bransle de la Torche, Hallelujah and Wouldn't It Be Luverly? 

Still got some work to do on all of them. particularly the arpeggiated chords and the staccato bar endings in the Bransle, not letting the left hand dominate in Hallelujah and balancing the voices in Luverly, but they are coming together well. I think!

Best of luck!  I really like Bransle de la Torche, and am looking forward to teaching it in a few months to my student who just completed G2 (she got Distinction; I'm very proud of her).  I haven't played Hellelujah or Luverly since I didn't want to buy those other books, but those two pieces seem to be really popular.

#47 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:24

Thank you!  As a singer and (many years ago) dancer, I found these pieces more appealing than the more traditional classical pieces.  I didn't mind buying the extra books as they both contain other pieces that I want to play.

#48 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:21

Thank you!  As a singer and (many years ago) dancer, I found these pieces more appealing than the more traditional classical pieces.  I didn't mind buying the extra books as they both contain other pieces that I want to play.

There are quite a few of us taking the G3 piano exam this term! Best of luck with yours, Sylvette. Have you attempted to sing and play at the same time? 

#49 thara96

thara96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:59

I'm doing Music Theory Grade One next year hopefully. 

#50 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 08 June 2019 - 17:17

There are quite a few of us taking the G3 piano exam this term! Best of luck with yours, Sylvette. Have you attempted to sing and play at the same time? 

Playing to accompany myself is the long term goal, but I am afraid it is a fair way off yet.  One or other always seems to fall apart when I try!

#51 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 08 June 2019 - 17:36

Thank you! As a singer and (many years ago) dancer, I found these pieces more appealing than the more traditional classical pieces. I didn't mind buying the extra books as they both contain other pieces that I want to play.

Playing to accompany myself is the long term goal, but I am afraid it is a fair way off yet. One or other always seems to fall apart when I try!
I think accompanying yourself on any instrument has its challenges, I've played guitar for many years and still find it difficult to sing while playing, as a learner pianist I could not imagine attempting to accompany myself while playing piano

#52 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:39

3 weeks today and it will all be over for me, feeling a little bit of excitement now as the date gets closer woot.gif
How are you folks feeling as your exam dates are closing in ?
Are you nervously waiting for your exam ?
Are you excitedly looking forward to it ?
Are you quietly and calmly approaching your up coming exam date ?

#53 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:52

I suppose at the moment the most accurate description is 'quietly and calmy approaching'. My exam date on the 19th July still feels quite far away. On the other hand, I've signed up to sing in an adult learners' concert on the following day and that's making me more nervous actually, only because I'm not getting on with my song  very well! But I'm too stubborn to change it now and it's motivating me to prepare the song the best I can (which I otherwise might not do if I didn't have this deadline!). But as far the exam goes, so far so good. It's in the afternoon though (4:15pm) which I'm not crazy about. I know I won't get anything done or won't be able to focus on anything on the day before it! 

#54 saxStef

saxStef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 899007

Posted 24 June 2019 - 15:03

Good luck to everyone who is going to take an exam during this summer session.

I'm also in for Saxophone Grade 6 (due this Saturday!). I am not panicking anymore about sight reading and aural: I know I am going to crash on that and I already surrendered to the outcome... At least I am going to enjoy the performance pieces.

#55 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 24 June 2019 - 17:52

I'm also in for Saxophone Grade 6 (due this Saturday!). I am not panicking anymore about sight reading and aural: I know I am going to crash on that and I already surrendered to the outcome... At least I am going to enjoy the performance pieces.

Good luck Stef. Which pieces have you gone for?

I'm about to start working on mine, but have really only decided on my B piece. Everything else is very much up in the air. 

I'm not looking forward to the Aural either. It'll be the first time I've done grade 6 Aural - Fortunately, grade 5 Aural hadn't really changed much from when I did grade 5 piano 18 years ago!

#56 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:17

I am not panicking anymore about sight reading and aural: I know I am going to crash on that and I already surrendered to the outcome... At least I am going to enjoy the performance pieces.

Best attitude!! Reduces the pressure on yourself. Do give them both a go, of course - you'll pick up a few points and you may pick up more than you expect! Good luck!

#57 saxStef

saxStef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 899007

Posted 25 June 2019 - 13:32

I'm about to start working on mine, but have really only decided on my B piece. Everything else is very much up in the air. 

I'm not looking forward to the Aural either. It'll be the first time I've done grade 6 Aural - Fortunately, grade 5 Aural hadn't really changed much from when I did grade 5 piano 18 years ago!

Hi Gav, I'm going for:

B - Romance from Concert for Alto Saxophone - R. Binge

A- Chanson Triste - Kalinnokov

C- Take Desmond - J. Wilson

The first two pieces, are not techically challenging, but demanding in terms of tone and expression

My first plan for to wait and do grade 7 later, but now I'm happy I'm trying grade 6 first: aural and sight reading are quite a jump from grade 5. 

#58 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 25 June 2019 - 19:22

Hi Gav, I'm going for:

B - Romance from Concert for Alto Saxophone - R. Binge

A- Chanson Triste - Kalinnokov

C- Take Desmond - J. Wilson

The first two pieces, are not techically challenging, but demanding in terms of tone and expression

My first plan for to wait and do grade 7 later, but now I'm happy I'm trying grade 6 first: aural and sight reading are quite a jump from grade 5. 

I bought the Binge to have a go at, I think I'm probably going to end up doing 'Black Sheep of the Family' by Christopher Norton instead. The Romance reminded me a bit of 'Celine Mandarine' from grade 5, which was by far my favourite for that grade though, so it may well change yet.

Take Desmond sounds great. Definitely not decided on my C piece yet though. 

I've not dared look at any sight reading yet. I'm not looking forward to the Aural though.

Let us know how you get on :)

#59 Scaredycat

Scaredycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Member: 887446

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:05

Yikes! Today's the day.

#60 ABN

ABN