Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2019 - 13:03

Well it's nearly time to head off to the exam, Grade 4 piano.  Getting nervous now, can't do anymore practice , what will be will be.....rolleyes.gif

Hey, hope everything went as well as you planned or better!  Let us know how you got on.

Well that didn't go quite as planned!  Scales OK - couple of minor errors, 1st piece the nerves kicked in so feel I made a mess of that.  2nd peice went OK, and 3rd piece a minor error.  Sight reading was OK (I think) and aural - no idea how that that went - probably as well as can be exepected.  Feeling cross for making a mess of the first piece - played it hundreds of times without error and then on the day crying.gif  Oh well, just have to wait and see what happens.

<virtual hug>  Sorry to hear, but a big 'well done' for all the hard work you've no doubt put in before the exam.  From what you say though I still think you will get a very good mark – a couple of slips don't seem to be taken into account from my limited experience.  Fingers crossed for you!

#107 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 889203
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 12 July 2019 - 15:32

Following my G8 piano meltdown in March the ABRSM very kindly granted me a syllabus extension to play the 2017/18 pieces this session and I re-took it this morning. At least I completed it this time but if I scrape a pass it will be most undeserved. Most annoying as I played fine in the practice room beforehand but nerves completely took over and all three pieces were littered with mistakes, restarts and general messiness with me exclaiming “oh for heaven’s sake” on a regular basis. Scales were ok but had a few slips. I think the examiner took pity on me and gave me the easiest sight reading possible - I counted out loud as always but managed to sing the counting. Aural was the pits. Oh well, done now and at least I can call my free time my own again and have a think about what to do next - it definitely won’t be any more exams.

Whilst on the subject of exams; congratulations to all those who have taken them this session. Some great results and I’m in awe of those who obtained full marks in aural - fantastic achievement.

#108 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2019 - 21:37

Delighted to find out I managed 99 / 100 on grade 5 theory. I suspect it was my trying to be clever and incorrectly identifying an ordinary (upper) turn as a 'lower turn' (i.e. inverted turn) that lost me the mark. Grrr... Can't really complain about two distinctions this session.

As ever, congrats to fellow candidates and their teachers.

#109 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:46

Delighted to find out I managed 99 / 100 on grade 5 theory. I suspect it was my trying to be clever and incorrectly identifying an ordinary (upper) turn as a 'lower turn' (i.e. inverted turn) that lost me the mark. Grrr... Can't really complain about two distinctions this session.

Fantastic result, well done LF.

#110 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:48

Very well done, congratulations on a fantastic result

#111 Scaredycat

Scaredycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Member: 887446

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:09

Fabulous result LF, well done. G5 theory is the next exam for me too.

#112 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:14

G5 theory is the next exam for me too.

Me too but not until November

#113 thara96

thara96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:10

Good luck to everyone preparing for exams. I'm currently revising for music theory grade 1 and piano grade one too. What books do you use for piano? 

#114 RachAnn_Piano

RachAnn_Piano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 899091

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:20

Well it's nearly time to head off to the exam, Grade 4 piano.  Getting nervous now, can't do anymore practice , what will be will be.....rolleyes.gif

Hey, hope everything went as well as you planned or better!  Let us know how you got on.

Well that didn't go quite as planned!  Scales OK - couple of minor errors, 1st piece the nerves kicked in so feel I made a mess of that.  2nd peice went OK, and 3rd piece a minor error.  Sight reading was OK (I think) and aural - no idea how that that went - probably as well as can be exepected.  Feeling cross for making a mess of the first piece - played it hundreds of times without error and then on the day crying.gif  Oh well, just have to wait and see what happens.

<virtual hug>  Sorry to hear, but a big 'well done' for all the hard work you've no doubt put in before the exam.  From what you say though I still think you will get a very good mark – a couple of slips don't seem to be taken into account from my limited experience.  Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for that - hopefully will scrape a pass - but then to decide if I can put myself through all that again for grade 5! 

#115 RachAnn_Piano

RachAnn_Piano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 899091

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:22

Well done! 

#116 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:57

Fabulous result LF, well done. G5 theory is the next exam for me too.

Thank you!

Very well done, congratulations on a fantastic result

Thank you!

Fantastic result, well done LF.

Thank yoiu!

Well done! 

Thank you!

#117 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:58

Fantastic! I should get around to taking the theory exam (especially as I did a G5 practical last year...) but I've been super lazy. I'm stuck around G3 level of understanding. 

#118 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 15 July 2019 - 15:50

Excellent result on your G5 theory, LF!  Are you planning on taking grade six?  I'm working on that now, trying to dredge up the four-part harmony that I blew off as a child...

#119 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2019 - 16:37

Fantastic! I should get around to taking the theory exam (especially as I did a G5 practical last year...) but I've been super lazy. I'm stuck around G3 level of understanding. 

Thank you, HL. The pink Eric Taylor book (AB Guide to Music Theory vol 1) and a couple of past papers should be see you through.

Excellent result on your G5 theory, LF!  Are you planning on taking grade six?  I'm working on that now, trying to dredge up the four-part harmony that I blew off as a child...

Thank you, Doc. How are you finding it? I've heard grades 5 & 6 are like chalk and cheese.  I want to concentrate on improving my aural and sight reading and playing many more pieces at around grade 3 level before even thinking about another exam.

#120 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 15 July 2019 - 17:36

Thank you, Doc. How are you finding it? I've heard grades 5 & 6 are like chalk and cheese.  I want to concentrate on improving my aural and sight reading and playing many more pieces at around grade 3 level before even thinking about another exam.

As you say, Grades 5 and 6 are like chalk and cheese.  (I had to look that idiom up - I've never heard that used here in the southern U.S. or even in the Britcoms I've watched over the years.)

Since the Board revamped grades one through five, those tests are just the basics, the foundation, the general knowledge that any classically-trained musician should know.  Even the more difficult aspects of these lower grades, such as transposition, scale writing, chord recognition, and rhythm conversion (simple to compound or vice-versa) are still just "plug and chug" as we say here in the States.  You're basically plugging inputs into formulae and turning the crank.  Fiddly and easy to get wrong, of course, but if you know the techniques/formulae, work slowly, and double- or even triple-check your work, you can get high scores.

I won't call G5 easy.  It was, perhaps, easy for me, but that's because I'm a music teacher and I eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff.  (Except for that abomination of a C clef... I don't regularly play an instrument that uses it.  Maybe I should get out my mandola...)

Grade Six is a different ball of wax.  Creativity is now called for, along with a working knowledge of the rules of harmony and figured bass.  I have mixed feelings about figured bass - I don't see myself using it outside of theory exams.  But the rules of harmony are very helpful.  There are also composition questions with required modulations, and you have to know how to work with orchestral scores.

I studied four-part harmony about 20 years ago.  I hated it with a passion back then.  How I wish I had paid more attention to it back then!  I recently realized that I've had something of a mental block on four-part harmony all these years, because I learned it in the context of religious music.  (My mother laid out a list of conditions for my longsuffering piano teacher.  I was not allowed to learn Mozart because he was "as bad as Elvis" and I was not allowed to play classical unless I also played hymns from the Baptist Hymnal and - shudder - "praise choruses."  Modern "worship music" still gives me anxiety attacks to this day.)

Thankfully I've been able to get past the mental block and actually learn four-part harmony.  The Bach chorales don't bother me that much - such music was considered sinful in the religion I grew up in (the sin of "Popery") so as long as I focus on the music and ignore the lyrics, I can deal with them just fine. 

I'm slogging through Harmony in Practice - it's pretty good for what it is, but I don't know how much I would recommend it for self-study.  If I weren't a music teacher with prior experience in this area, I would probably be well and truly lost.

> I want to concentrate on improving my aural and sight reading and playing many

> more pieces at around grade 3 level before even thinking about another exam.

That sounds like an excellent plan.  G6 probably isn't absolutely needed for most students (AFAIK it's only a prerequisite for DipABRSM in teaching, which I hope to take eventually) but I do hope you will one day look into it.  It would greatly appreciate your understanding of and appreciation for the music you're playing.  It would probably make sense to study that as you progress in the higher grades.

One word of advice, if I may, and worth what it cost you: don't let the G5 material slip.  Review it periodically.  This is material that musicians need for life.