Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:54

We don't seem to have one of these just now....

After having owned a guitar since around November last year, I have actually just had my first guitar lesson! It was a whole different scenario from trying to teach myself, and also a quite different starting point, with a speedy introduction to chords, tabs, and a whole host of other things. It was just what I needed to actually begin to feel I might be able to get going with it, whereas the teacher said it would take me years following the book I was using before. 

Also, I discovered I haven't got spots - or dots - inlaid along the upper side of the neck. Apart from using stickers to mark some of the frets, is there another (more permanent) way to mark some of them?

Quite excited now.... woot.gif

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:37

If you google adding side markers you'll find youtube videos of various methods, including using magic markers, tippex or nail varnish.  The best way of course is to inlay a short piece of thin dowel - even a kebab stick would do - but that side of the neck shouldn't see much wear and a simple marker ought to last quite well.  I need to do this on a ukulele I recently bought.

Hope you are enjoying your lessons!

#3 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 17 April 2019 - 13:07

Many thanks, LoneM. I will have a look at youtube to see what would work best for me. At the moment I have just placed temporary stickers on the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 12th frets and they seem to be staying put. Even so, something more lasting would be good.

Lessons are rare glimpses of "how to play", but I plan to keep going.