#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 18 April 2019 - 19:55

Has anyone started an instrument from scratch in a group lesson rather than one to one?     I have never done group tuition because you do not get as much attention from the teacher because lessons are only 30 minutes long and the teacher has to divide their attention to everyone .   I am only asking because someone I know wants to learn from scratch on an instrument in a group and I am not sure it would really work or help them to progress but obviously its their choice

#2 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:25

Has anyone started an instrument from scratch in a group lesson rather than one to one?     I have never done group tuition because you do not get as much attention from the teacher because lessons are only 30 minutes long and the teacher has to divide their attention to everyone .   I am only asking because someone I know wants to learn from scratch on an instrument in a group and I am not sure it would really work or help them to progress but obviously its their choice

I started recorder at primary school as part of a group (I was one of the oldest in the group. can't really remember the details as it was almost 20 years ago). It did give me a brilliant start on my musical journey.

At the moment, I'm sort of self teaching myself saxophone but also playing it in the concert band i play with. I pretty much use band to help me improve and go further on in my musical journey

Everyone's different and sometimes group tuition could either be the only thing available or the only thing they could afford  

#3 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:40

What is the instrument and how big is the group?

#4 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:37

The Ukulele and I think the group is small.   I could not personally learn that way.   

#5 vron

vron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:18

the ukulele is one of the easier instrument to learn I think and I have several friends who just joined a ukulele group and learnt that way - they did however have some knowledge of chords.

I think it is quite possible to learn it in a small group situation.

#6 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:11

Group tuition works rather well for the ukulele - certainly if the group is small. It is an easy instrument, at least at the beginning, and there is the fun of playing with other people. IME uke players don't take themselves too seriously and are always friendly and helpful. I started teaching myself with books and online demos, but have also been to some workshops and really enjoyed them.

#7 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:35

Depends what they're like too. A friend does keyboard in a group and has a wonderful time but is very sociable. And interestingly, is very confident playing in front of others. The teacher had them act as each other's audiences from the start.