BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 19 April 2019 - 20:44

I have an adult student who I really enjoy teaching, but he can sometimes be hard work!  When he is motivated, he will practise well and thoroughly enjoys his playing, but in between, he goes through periods where he loses motivation and barely touches his violin for a few weeks / months and murmurs about possibly giving up...then something catches his interest and the cycle starts again!  He has gone up and down like this for the past 5 or 6 years I've been teaching him, and I've got used to it, and just see it as my job to make lessons as enjoyable as possible during the "barren" periods, and to keep finding music or goals that will rekindle his enthusiasm when it wanes.  

So, I'm currently looking for some new music for him!  It could be a book or an individual piece.  He has very strong opinions about what he does and doesn't like, but he does enjoy playing quite a wide variety of pieces and styles.  To give some idea....

Level: he is approx Grade 3 - 4 level, but he enjoys playing music primarily between Grade 1 - 3 (a Grade 1 - 2 book he can just sight-read and play through for fun, and a Grade 3 / 4 book he would enjoy picking one or two pieces he really liked and working harder at them).  

Suitability: his note reading is strong and he's pretty happy with shifting (third is comfy, second is ok, and he could potentially handle something higher).  His rhythm reading isn't as comfortable (he tends to decide it's too hard and give up!), so something without complex rhythms / syncopation would be better, and nothing too quick.  We are trying to work on vibrato but it's not coming easily to him.  

Style: he likes tunes he recognises (e.g. folk tunes, classical, etc), and otherwise anything that's "pretty" or that's fun/enjoyable to play.  Nothing modern or discordant!  He loves duets but is also happy playing with a piano accompaniment / CD.  

Requirements: it has to have a CD to play along with - he won't practise it otherwise!  

Already has (and likes): Fiddle Time Runners and Sprinters; Hey Presto 3; The Best of Grade 3 violin; Jigs, Reels & Hornpipes; a couple of books of arrangements of classical music for violin (I don't remember the titles).... possibly more but I can't remember!  

Any suggestions?  Either of a book or a particular piece?  

#2 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 21 April 2019 - 16:13

Sorry for late reply - only just seen this.

I could suggest shedloads of stuff but for the CD specification! However, for the Grade 3-4 category to pick one or two from, I suggest The Classic Experience (subtitled "favourite classical themes arranged for violin and piano"). It comes with 2 CDs and piano accompaniment. It includes Pachelbel's Canon, Carmen Overture, Chanson de Matin, Gymnopedie No 1, and Grieg's Morning among others, all slightly simplified so as to be not-too-challenging. It would probably be perfect for your student if he doesn't already have it. Other than that, have you tried exam books with CD?

#3 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • UK

Posted 22 April 2019 - 16:58

Sorry for late reply - only just seen this.

I could suggest shedloads of stuff but for the CD specification! However, for the Grade 3-4 category to pick one or two from, I suggest The Classic Experience (subtitled "favourite classical themes arranged for violin and piano"). It comes with 2 CDs and piano accompaniment. It includes Pachelbel's Canon, Carmen Overture, Chanson de Matin, Gymnopedie No 1, and Grieg's Morning among others, all slightly simplified so as to be not-too-challenging. It would probably be perfect for your student if he doesn't already have it. Other than that, have you tried exam books with CD?

Thanks Misterioso!  No he doesn't have that one - I'll take a look, thanks!  smile.png

The trouble with exam books is he tends to like one or two pieces and discard the others.  rolleyes.gif   

I remember someone on another thread, a while back, mentioning a book of violin music for weddings or something that I thought sounded interesting....you don't remember what that was, do you?  

#4 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 22 April 2019 - 17:44

I remember someone on another thread, a while back, mentioning a book of violin music for weddings or something that I thought sounded interesting....you don't remember what that was, do you?  

That may well have been me! I have a favourite duet book entitled Wedding Music for Two Violins  wub.png but unfortunately it doesn't come with a CD. They are about G4 standard. I suppose you could record one part for him so he could play along with the other part to get him to practise?

Edit: Musicroom, £12.99, MelBay.

There's also solo Wedding Music for Classical Players with piano accompaniment and audio available on ebay at £13.98. From the sample pages, these look to be about G3-4 standard. I'm quite tempted myself for some of my students around that stage.

#5 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • UK

Posted 22 April 2019 - 23:34

Thanks Misterioso!  I have ordered the first two books and a couple of others I found online - hopefully he'll at least like one of them!  biggrin.png