MaggieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Member: 206317
  • Warwickshire

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:02

At what grade are  pedal  markings introduced?

Thanks.

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3541 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:42

Do you mean in exam pieces? Some early tutor books use sustaining pedal markings. When I was learning, I remember grade 4 being the level when changes of pedal for legato was taught. But I can think of much earlier pieces requiring it now eg grade 2 Cloudy Day. A lot of pieces simply say con ped and you have to decide on your own pedalling.

#3 MaggieH

MaggieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Warwickshire

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:47

Ah,  yes, I have seen the markings, Con Ped, and didn't realise it means decide your own peddling. Thanks for that. 

Yes, to your question , did I mean exam pieces .  Thanks again.

#4 MaggieH

MaggieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Warwickshire

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:56

Another pedal question I was thinking of asking: -     Can very fast pieces of music  have pedal markings , if so wouldn't the pedal effect be lost, and your foot would be going 90 to the dozen?  blink.png

#5 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3541 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:07

Depends on the style of music. With pieces like fast sonata movements I would probably use very little pedal. There are no hard and fast rules. Listening to the effect is the best way to judge. At earlier grades a teacher would advise. When I'm putting pedal marks in for a student, I try the piece out. Sometimes I disagree with printed pedal marks in a piece. Or I want to use pedal in more places than is indicated.

#6 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:01

Slightly related question - is there a specific symbol or marking that would be used to denote that pedal really should not be used for a passage? We see pedal markings often enough, but what about the reverse? 

MaggieH - fast pieces often do have pedal (Chopin etudes spring to mind) but you wouldn't be changing the pedal every note or even every beat, it would be more at each bar or phrase or where it seemed appropriate. 

#7 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Member: 897222
  • South Wales

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:03

I have learned some Grade 2 level pieces with pedalling but at exam grade level, there is some in the Grade 3 piece (Shadows) that I am learning now. Hope that helps.

#8 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:50

Slightly related question - is there a specific symbol or marking that would be used to denote that pedal really should not be used for a passage? We see pedal markings often enough, but what about the reverse?

Senza pedale or senza ped.

#9 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:50

Thank you LF! smile.png

#10 MaggieH

MaggieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Warwickshire

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:36

MaggieH - fast pieces often do have pedal (Chopin etudes spring to mind) but you wouldn't be changing the pedal every note or even every beat, it would be more at each bar or phrase or where it seemed appropriate. 

Thanks Ellie.       It would be nice if there was a like, button so that I could  put like to indicate that I have read and liked a reply, similar to Facebook.

Do  we have to strictly stick the the score markings for pedal, or at times, can we  improvise? 

#11 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:48

I have learned some Grade 2 level pieces with pedalling but at exam grade level, there is some in the Grade 3 piece (Shadows) that I am learning now. Hope that helps.

Off topic, but I played through Shadows yesterday for a change of 'scenery' from my Grade 3 pieces. It's super pretty!

#12 kenm

kenm

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts
  • Member: 2075

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:39

Senza pedale or senza ped.

Fine for a well educated musician or if you can explain it to your student.  I used to play in an orchestra whose conductor would say at the marking "senza rit.", "Cross it out! cross it all out!", because he knew that the orchestra had members who didn't know what "senza" meant, so would try to slow down.