#31 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 11 May 2019 - 20:45

I do not feel bullied.   I said things and people disagreed with them.    It does not matter

#32 akc42

akc42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 898697
  • Just outside London

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:49

I bought a Yamaha P125 in January, and initially I thought I'd done a good thing, but now I fear what will happen if it stops working - real pianos don't stop working, they just need tuning and the odd repair, but are you expected to ditch an old electric keyboard and buy another? It's just more conspicuous waste, isn't it, or am I missing something?

A new P125 costs about £480.  If it stops working within the first two years it will be covered by warranty - beyond that you may have to pay someone to fix it - although if it makes it to the two year boundary it will likely keep working for a long time.

Its actually incredibly expensive and difficult to find a decent acoustic piano - I just bought one for my daughter (actually for my 7 year old Grandson).  I paid £1000 for that and even at that price it isn't that good.  It is of course old. I did look at several on e-bay at around the £200 - £500 mark, but when I saw them, they mostly needed a lot of work and it was going to cost around £200 to transport them to by daughters house - there was a strong chance that they would be some other un noticed flaw and it costs about £150 to dispose of an old unwanted piano. 

I did own an acoustic upright myself up until May 2017.  My father bought it from new in 1956 and I learnt on it as a child.  In May 2017 I passed it on to my other daughter.  Even that, which has been well looked after since new is in need of a major overhaul just because its so old.

When I suddenly had the urge to restart playing in Sept 2017 I decided to buy a digital first - mainly because a) It was cheaper than an acoustic alternative, b) I could practice to my hearts content with headphones and c) I was getting a feel more like a grand piano than an upright.  Now that I well settled into playing again I am definitely planning on purchasing an acoustic. BUT ...

It will be a grand piano - and will therefore cost AT LEAST £10,000 - that is the minimum I feel I would have to pay to get sufficient quality to make it worthwhile AND I will retain a digital for silent practicing.

I spend quite a bit of time on the digitial piano forum of pianoworld.com the general recommendations on there are.  Note these are for pianist planning on learning classical music and not playing in a band.  Gigging musicians generally have different requirements.

1) Entry level digital pianos are Yamaha P125, Roland FP30 and Kawai ES110.  The actions and sounds on these are different to one another and you really should try them in person to choose what you like before buying.  Casio PX160 and better slightly below these top tier but still OK

2) Even these entry level pianos have better sound that older models - it is rarely worth it to buy anything more than one generation back

3) These entry level pianos are good for beginners, but will need replacing as you improve at about Grade 5 or 6.  At this point you will need to be paying close to £2000 or above

4) At the very top of the range are the hybrid pianos (real grand action, digital sound production).  These are the only ones that truly replicate a grand action precisely.  They are Kawai Novus 10 and Yamaha Avantgrand series (with the new N1X being the current favorite).  There are some very respected pianists who have these as practice pianos 

5) The actions in the digital pianos of the mid tier are OK - pivot length is a big topic as is wood v plastic.  Some of the so called wood actions are fake in that its a thin wood covering over an essentially plastic actions.  Playing and comparing pianos in this range is a must as everyone's taste is different.

#33 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 17 June 2019 - 13:23

Lots of people post their thoughts on forums (fora for the pedants!) like these, and lots of people change their minds. Why pick on AP?

I wonder if there'd be a market for someone taking on dead acoutsic pianos in their wooden cases and putting a digital mechanism in them?

To EllieD - yes, there are firms which will put digital innards into an old case, e.g. Vale Pianos. An excellent idea for some of those beautiful old cases that still survive. I think one of our forum members had this done but I can't remember who it was.
Yes, I used Vale Pianos. I had a very old acoustic on its last legs, but in a beautiful cabinet.
I was very pleased with the service. They lent me a digital while it was being done.

People are astonished when I tell them it's a digital, and open the top to show them. You can't even begin to tell from the look of it. And in fact the tone is a lot better, since the poor old piano did sound decidedly tinny. And the new sustain pedal doesn't squeak! They gave the cabinet a lovely polish, too.
The new innards came from a good quality Kawai.

I know a lot of people are sniffy about digitals, and if I were ever going to aspire to much past grade five or six level, I dare say it might fall short,but it sounds very nice to me, and an added advantage is the volume control, or playing silent with headphones, not that Ive ever tried that yet.
In case anyone wants to know, it cost around three grand. For some reason my iPad won't let me do symbols or figures at the moment! iPad is probably getting a bit past it, too..

Might add that a niece from Singapore who was staying recently - grade 8 violin but used to play the piano and would like to play again - told me she'd tried to play an old remembered piece while I was out, and wondered why nothing happened when she touched the keys!

#34 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:06

That's lovely! So glad that beautiful pianos can continue to be enjoyed. smile.png