corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6058 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:26

T-2 weeks. Have done three run throughs of programme this past couple of weeks and another one tomorrow.

#47 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 899711

Posted Yesterday, 03:43

Personally in this case I would just write something like 'the piano reduction enters with the main (wind, string, whatever) melody'. The programme notes will not need a detailed analysis of how the orchestra part has been transcribed for piano. 

Definitely avoid referring to the piano part as 'the accompaniment' in places where the music uses different textures. Incorrect naming of musical textures will most likely cost marks.

Thank you! I would hate to tell her wrongly. And I’m very aware that I’m not to help her, as the programme notes need to be her own. So it’s a fine balance between her what is in the guidelines and me saying something doesn’t sound right when I read it, along with the difficulty of it being a piano reduction.

It is really hard getting hold of some of the books in the reading list. For those out of print, can anyone recommend a reputable place? There are some copies reselling on amazon but I’ve had issues a couple of times with their resellers, so only want to use them as a last resort.

#48 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted Yesterday, 06:58

I didn’t use any of the books on the list. I suspect it hasn’t been thoroughly revised much in a while. Most will be aimed at a much older reader.

Reading programme notes for professional concert performances will give a good idea of the general approach that is required. The syllabus says the notes should be aimed at a general audience, so don’t include too much technical language.

Invidia is right - the piano reduction issue shouldn’t be a major problem. ‘The orchestra (or, in today’s performance, the piano) then enters with a ....’

When is she taking the exam?

#49 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted Yesterday, 08:35

T-2 weeks. Have done three run throughs of programme this past couple of weeks and another one tomorrow.

Good luck corenfa! How have the runs gone?

Personally in this case I would just write something like 'the piano reduction enters with the main (wind, string, whatever) melody'. The programme notes will not need a detailed analysis of how the orchestra part has been transcribed for piano. 

Definitely avoid referring to the piano part as 'the accompaniment' in places where the music uses different textures. Incorrect naming of musical textures will most likely cost marks.

Thank you! I would hate to tell her wrongly. And I’m very aware that I’m not to help her, as the programme notes need to be her own. So it’s a fine balance between her what is in the guidelines and me saying something doesn’t sound right when I read it, along with the difficulty of it being a piano reduction.

It is really hard getting hold of some of the books in the reading list. For those out of print, can anyone recommend a reputable place? There are some copies reselling on amazon but I’ve had issues a couple of times with their resellers, so only want to use them as a last resort.

I don't think the majority of diploma candidates will have read that reading list. 'Music in Words' is the main one for programme notes, but to be honest your daughter would get a much better idea of how to do them by just reading professional examples as Clovis suggested. 

I understand the trust issues with second hand books, but now is a really good time for them because you have students graduating university and selling off their old ones. I mostly use amazon and abebooks myself and never had problems. 

#50 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 899711

Posted Yesterday, 08:52

Thanks.
She is sitting in Nov/Dec.
I found some really useful books for sax - but they aren’t on the list. She is really enjoying all the research, partly, I suspect, because she is playing music she loves and she hasn’t got much on in terms of exams in other subjects. So she can just immerse herself in aspects she enjoys without pressure of external exams.

One of the pieces is Phil Woods Sonata (Mvt 1 and 2) which she loves due to the improv. As a classical player, I figured she should learn to improvise very early on, as I always struggled with that. She does it so easily. I’m also taking her through ’jazzology’ so she has the theory of it too. I’ll just start looking to get hold of those books then, as I had forgotten that it’s the end of academic year in some countries.

#51 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6058 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted Yesterday, 09:22

Thanks! I think I am in a good position for having 2 weeks to go. There have been no major crashes but there are minor ones. I think I know what I am trying to say musically but am not always capable of delivering it. I have recorded all my run throughs and at least the later ones sound better than the earlier ones.

#52 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted Yesterday, 10:30

Thanks.
She is sitting in Nov/Dec.
I found some really useful books for sax - but they aren’t on the list. She is really enjoying all the research, partly, I suspect, because she is playing music she loves and she hasn’t got much on in terms of exams in other subjects. So she can just immerse herself in aspects she enjoys without pressure of external exams.

One of the pieces is Phil Woods Sonata (Mvt 1 and 2) which she loves due to the improv. As a classical player, I figured she should learn to improvise very early on, as I always struggled with that. She does it so easily. I’m also taking her through ’jazzology’ so she has the theory of it too. I’ll just start looking to get hold of those books then, as I had forgotten that it’s the end of academic year in some countries.

She has plenty of time then. What is her programme?

One book I found particularly helpful is Alex Ross's The Rest is Noise, which is all about 20th-century music. It's very approachable and aimed at the general reader. It gives a really good background to all the major musical styles from Debussy onwards. Various articles in the online New Grove Dictionary (usually available through public libraries) would be good to read.

I can't improvise either.

#53 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted Yesterday, 13:50

Thanks! I think I am in a good position for having 2 weeks to go. There have been no major crashes but there are minor ones. I think I know what I am trying to say musically but am not always capable of delivering it. I have recorded all my run throughs and at least the later ones sound better than the earlier ones.

That was a sensible idea. I think most of us are our own worst critics and it's good that you can hear improvements between the recordings. Hope it all goes well!

For the improvisation discussion: I used to consider myself a composer which involved a degree of improvisation, but I would never claim I could properly improvise sad.png