#46 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:33

I signed up for this, but alas I know I will not have the time to finish.  I completed week 1, but now life has just got very busy for the next two weeks.  Perhaps I'll catch up a bit in week 4!

I found the first week really beneficial, so I hope that I will find time to look at some more of it.  If anyone could highlight bits you think are worth paying special attention to, I might cherry-pick a little bit.

I really found the example lessons in week 1 helpful, for various reasons:  some with good demonstrations of how to do it, and one particularly bad, so that I thought "oh, I know how he should have gone about that" which gave me a bit of a boost.

TGS X

#47 funkiepiano

funkiepiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Member: 15203

Posted 03 July 2019 - 13:28

The stuff about protecting your hearing this week is really good. Also the learning differences material, which I will print out and absorb properly when I’m near a printer. I didn’t find the setting-up-in-business stuff really necessary as I do it all already. But I’m sure it’s helpful to many.
This course has been great for doing at the end of the year when lesson attendance has dropped off! Today I had 1 20-min lesson that showed up, out of 4 hours at school, so I’ve sat in the practice room with an iPad and done the course for most of the day :)

#48 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4793 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 03 July 2019 - 13:44

A cancelled lesson this morning (the only one) gave me the chance to get to the end of week 3.
Probably I'm trying to be too thorough - listening to videos of instrument groups with which I have no connection, as well as printing out the pdfs but I don't know how others are keeping up with all the material.
I think I've had enough screen time for now- I take my hat off to busier teachers than me (i.e. everybody!) who are well-enough organised to manage their time so well.

#49 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 03 July 2019 - 17:40

It's summer holiday for us now in sunny Scotland, so I can dedicate time to this and I'm nearing the end. I certainly got a lot less thorough as I went through. For a lot of it, they have an interesting point to make, but I feel being active on this forum has done enough to make me aware of the issues. Then what I choose to do about them is... what I choose to do about them.

There is a fair bit of guff to wade through. Then a gentle (and deniable) plug for their exams. But some real gems in there too, like the bit on dyslexia. I think I will pay the £52 to get the certificate to say I did it, then I will dedicate my time to more musical affairs.

Good to see others are getting something out of it too. I'm not sure how important the lesson-recording is. It is purely for your own benefit, and if anyone feels their time and energy are better spent on something else, then fair enough.

#50 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:16

The most useful thing about recording the lesson, I felt, was the chance to say to the student that I was doing a course to improve teaching.  It's good for learners to see that the teacher is still learning too.  Same with the questionnaires to print out for students to complete - a good opportunity to show students that we all need to be open to correction and change. always.  ( I have gathered in the completed questionnaires but can't bring myself to actually read through them!)

TGS X

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: online courses, future learn, CPD