#16 Minstrel

Minstrel

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • Member: 9268

Posted 24 June 2019 - 15:10

What a shame that ABRSM have missed the opportunity for violinists to perform one piece on viola at higher grades as there is for Trinity. Nearly all my grades6-8 choose to do a viola piece ( I have lending-out violas , which nearly always only come back because a student has been inspired to get their own viola ???? ) , it's a great way to get them interested in viola sound and repertoire and works wonders for bow and sound control on violin .

#17 Jlma

Jlma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 895419

Posted 28 June 2019 - 20:54

Hi everyone

The Trinity violin accompaniments (and also performance tracks) for all the pieces in the exam books are now available on youtube and amazon music for free! At least for most grade - I believe they're in the process of uploading the missing ones (Initial, 3, 4). When I first looked, there were only the grade 1 pieces. Now 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8. Grade 2 also when you search for it. 

https://www.youtube....cwDQidVNc23rjZA

Not the alternative list pieces though. Still great that the pieces from the books are now available for free and pupils get recordings made by fantastic artists rather than relying on dubious recordings by a certain individual (I still don't understand how it is possible to pass grade 8 violin (or even 7 or 6) like that, to be honest. Are standards really that low for ABRSM?)

Regarding the ABRSM syllabus, I have the impression it has improved overall. 

Of course , the true test is when I start teaching them. But I'm so looking forward to starting the new pieces soon! (I use both boards.)

#18 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 01 July 2019 - 22:43

What a shame that ABRSM have missed the opportunity for violinists to perform one piece on viola at higher grades as there is for Trinity. Nearly all my grades6-8 choose to do a viola piece ( I have lending-out violas , which nearly always only come back because a student has been inspired to get their own viola ???? ) , it's a great way to get them interested in viola sound and repertoire and works wonders for bow and sound control on violin .

This is interesting....I've never come across this.  I have played the violin since I was 7 and been teaching for years, and I have never even played, never mind owned, a viola.  Mind you, I have tiny hands and struggle with a full size violin, so on a full size viola I'd have no chance!  But I didn't know this was a "thing".  

Jlma, that's interesting - thanks for sharing.  I've bought all the CDs anyway, and I don't mind as the speakers on my CD player are much better quality than on my tablet / laptop.  But it's great to have that option.  

Very interesting to hear everyone’s thoughts! I have only really browsed through the new pieces books but my initial impression is that there seems to be varying difficulty of pieces within each list, particularly in the early grades. I think this is always going to happen to some degree but seems especially obvious this time around.

I also agree with this.  Portsmouth at G4, for example, seems a particularly easy option.  In fact, I think it's easier than some of the current Grade 3 pieces.  I do like the selection of pieces though, and will just make sure I don't let me students make a beeline for all the easiest choices!  wink.png

#19 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:10

I've just received my new syllabus in the post, and can't find any information on how many duet options may be included - does anybody know? I'm assuming (since there is no stipulation otherwise) that it is possible to include one from each list to present.

The other thing I noticed is that the Prep Test has not been scrapped, although I thought it had. I can't imagine offering this option to anyone now with the new Initial Grade in place.

#20 Jlma

Jlma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 14:44

I've just received my new syllabus in the post, and can't find any information on how many duet options may be included - does anybody know? I'm assuming (since there is no stipulation otherwise) that it is possible to include one from each list to present.

The other thing I noticed is that the Prep Test has not been scrapped, although I thought it had. I can't imagine offering this option to anyone now with the new Initial Grade in place.

In the online version of the ABRSM syllabus (is that the one you mean?) it says on page 10:

Accompaniment: A live piano or string (where the option is listed) accompaniment is required for all pieces, except those which are published as studies or unaccompanied works (these are marked SOLO in the syllabus list).

At Grades Initial–3, candidates may perform some or all of their pieces with a string accompaniment. Pieces that are published as duets (or with string accompaniment only) are marked DUET in the syllabus list. Pieces that are published with piano and string accompaniment options are marked PF/VN , PF/VA , PF/VC , or PF/DB in the syllabus list, and may be performed with either accompaniment in the exam.

Candidates must provide their own accompanist(s), who can only be in the exam room while accompanying. The candidate’s teacher may accompany (examiners will not). If necessary, an accompanist may simplify any part of the accompaniment, as long as the result is musical. Recorded accompaniments are not allowed.

I can't find any information about the Prep test in the online version though. Does the printed syllabus still include it?

#21 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 July 2019 - 16:43

In the online version of the ABRSM syllabus (is that the one you mean?) it says on page 10:

Accompaniment: A live piano or string (where the option is listed) accompaniment is required for all pieces, except those which are published as studies or unaccompanied works (these are marked SOLO in the syllabus list).

At Grades Initial–3, candidates may perform some or all of their pieces with a string accompaniment. Pieces that are published as duets (or with string accompaniment only) are marked DUET in the syllabus list. Pieces that are published with piano and string accompaniment options are marked PF/VN , PF/VA , PF/VC , or PF/DB in the syllabus list, and may be performed with either accompaniment in the exam.

Candidates must provide their own accompanist(s), who can only be in the exam room while accompanying. The candidate’s teacher may accompany (examiners will not). If necessary, an accompanist may simplify any part of the accompaniment, as long as the result is musical. Recorded accompaniments are not allowed.

I can't find any information about the Prep test in the online version though. Does the printed syllabus still include it?

Yes, it does.wacko.png

(pages 6 -7)

#22 Jlma

Jlma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 14:54

Yes, it does.wacko.png

(pages 6 -7)

Well nobody has to use it. biggrin.png  I haven't prepared any of my pupils for the Prep test for years, and even before, there were perhaps about three pupils whose parents insisted. Since then, I've always made it very clear to parents that there is no point doing harder Prep test pieces without getting any marks before the easier grade 1 pieces. I have always preferred the Trinity Initial and offered to prepare pupils for it, even if parents insisted on switching to ABRSM afterwards for grade 1 or higher. But luckily, many decide to stick with Trinity.

Having said that, I think the new ABRSM syllabus has improved considerably.

I agree with what some of you said, that difficulty varies wildly within the same grade in both boards.

In ABRSM grade 6, C:3 seems particularly easy. Trinity has the same piece at grade 4, admittedly in a different arrangement/key, but there doesn't seem a gap of 2 grades in difficulty between the two versions.

Also, some of the new Trinity Initial pieces do seem a lot harder than previous ones. The finger pattern 2nd finger low was never required at Initial level before, and certainly not a mixture of 2nd high and low within the same piece.

Both duet options in the Trinity Initial exam pieces book require 2nd finger low. I know some teachers start 2nd low before 2nd high, but I thought that was more 100 years ago. There are hardly any violin methods around now which do this.

The Menuet (from Music for the Royal Fireworks) is particularly hard: Lots of string crossings, 3/4 (which they all find harder), but what makes it really appear too difficult for that level is: combination of 2nd low on E, and high on D, use of 4th finger several times, playing two strings simultaneously in a dotted rhythm followed by a quaver (finding 3rd finger) in two up bows.... This looks far more like a grade 1 piece and not even an easy one. I'd say it wouldn't even look  too easy in a grade 2 syllabus.

There are certainly easier grade 1 pieces both in Trinity and ABRSM around which don't require all of these difficulties condensed in one short piece.

I will try it out with pupils who are preparing for Initial (but who are doing other pieces), those who have just passed Initial with distinction and my grade 1 and 2 pupils. I shall then report back...

No doubt it is easy for us, but based on how my young Initial pupils play, I am not sure how it ended up there. I'm wondering if they try out pieces with actual real pupils who are at that level. Normal, average pupils who struggle with basic posture and keeping the bow near the bridge and playing with a pure sound on one string at a time... They're the ones who are likely to do the Initial exam, not the exceptional ones who skip the lower grades anyway and go straight to grade 5 after two years of lessons.

Of course, nobody is forced to play it in an exam - there are lots of easier options available, but I'm still wondering how they decide to put something like this at Initial grade.