#1 diane

diane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Member: 20686
  • Manchester

Posted 17 June 2019 - 18:27

I've been asked to play the piano accompaniment for a young violinist taking Grade 4 violin exam soon. Any idea how much I should charge for a run-through and the exam? Thanks

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3582 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 17 June 2019 - 19:06

I charge my teaching rate per hour plus travel costs. It will depend how many sessions she needs with you and how far away the exam venue is. I don't charge extra for any of my own practising, probably not needed at this grade, but sometimes necessary for higher grades.

#3 Sautillé

Sautillé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 17 June 2019 - 20:14

Agree with LP. I charge my standard teaching rate for rehearsal and exam. I know some people get away with a huge increase but I don’t feel comfortable with that. I don’t usually have to travel but travel costs and time are quite reasonable. For grades above 6 I’m just careful to schedule enough rehearsal time so I don’t have to take all the stress...

#4 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 17 June 2019 - 23:04

Yes, normal hourly rate plus travel costs. If it is a higher grade exam more rehearsals may be needed so that offsets the cost of any required practice. Most stuff is fairly straight forward for abrsm exams really, although there is the occasional grade 8 work that needs a bit of "dust blowing off it" - for example the Franck violin sonata accompaniment from the last syllabus.

#5 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1333 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:03

As a member of the Musicians Union I just follow their recommended rates:

Exam Accompanists
Minimum calls    Prep time (mins)   Exam time (mins)     Fee
Grade 1 - 5               30                          30                      £40.50
Grade 6-7                 45                          45                      £60.75
Grade 8                    60                          60                      £81.00

#6 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 20 June 2019 - 20:11

It depends how much you want the work.  When I was first asked to accompany, I quoted £30 for g1 (rounding down the exam fee to the nearest £10), but was turned down in favour of a cheaper option on several occasions.

I have just agreed to accompany two grade 1 flutes for £20 each, on the basis that they are playing the same pieces, so no extra work for me, and parents v happy to pay that - wish I'd asked for £25 now, but it is the first time I've had a parent happy with the fee.   For me, it is a way of getting my name known - which will hopefully lead to more work, and possibly new students, so I was happy to do it for less than the hourly rate.  No travel costs, as I can cycle to the centre, and get free exercise into the bargain!

My ideal situation would be to have a few back-to-back exams to accompany, which would make £20 a reasonable earner, whereas for a one-off it feels like a bit of a nominal sum.

TGS X

#7 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 20 June 2019 - 22:21

Thank you for sharing the MU rates Porilo. The schools I play for only pay less than half those rates. I have always known the rates were low but find them acceptable only because they give me lots of exams back to back, plus my experience level means minimal preparation time for me - the only exceptions being an occasional high grade demanding piece that I don't already know. 

Still, I am tempted to make them aware of those MU rates to see what they have to say about it . . . 

#8 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 20 June 2019 - 23:55

The MU rates are very fair - rather cheap for grade 8 - I change more than their rate for that.

#9 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1333 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:39

I should have said that those are the "recommended minimum rates" so people are allowed to charge whatever the want but shouldn't be charging any less that those rates. smile.png

#10 diane

diane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Member: 20686
  • Manchester

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:16

Many thanks for those suggestions, especially the MU min rates.

smile.png