#16 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 22 June 2019 - 19:28

My plastic (see through) mechanical one is a source of endless fascination to child students. They are so completely gobsmacked by something that doesn't have a battery and occasionally runs down ("breaking") but can be fixed by winding it up. Also, I like the dull mechanical click, compared to a toned beep that is inevitable with electric ones. I mean, how does the beep know what key I'm playing in? And, I've seen others play to an electric but ignore it (fairly pointless) whereas a mechanical one is harder to ignore. Provided it's loud enough. 

#17 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:48

Our front doorbell is a wind-up clockwork mechanism. The postman was thrilled when he discovered this and takes every opportunity to ring it - even if I’m standing with the door wide open.

I prefer the mechanical metronomes as I pay more attention to the sound for some reason. I use digital only for irregular beats and for when I need a pulse speed above 208 (usually modern music with no regular beat).

#18 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:45

I have a digital one, but don’t get on with it- I play flute and the beeps kind of blend in with the flute and I can’t hear them!

So, I now use an app on my phone. I can change it to a range of different beats (crochets, triplets etc) and change the sound. I’m still not keen on metronomes, as I find them really distracting. But, I have got loads better since the app.

#19 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:10

ellie D you are absolutely right. Except that the children to whom I plan to lend the metronomes don't have television, don't have screens of any sort , don't get to use a mobile phone until aged at least 16 - in other words I teach in a timewarp! However you have given me an idea - i'll get a more "modern" kid to show me and then explain to the time warp group. Actually this group are a joy to teach as they actually do have time to practise!

#20 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 25 June 2019 - 14:24

I hadn't said, but I never play to a metronome. I always use it to find the pulse then turn it off and play.

#21 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19867 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:43

I hadn't said, but I never play to a metronome. I always use it to find the pulse then turn it off and play.

Similarly. I’ve never really used them for myself. Didn’t have one at all when I was growing up.

I use it with students from time to time, in the way you describe. I dislike intensely the idea that one can actually play along with a metronome!

It’s useful as a demonstration tool, and to ‘show’ the recommended speed of things for exams.

#22 JimD

JimD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Member: 159407
  • Washington UK

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:14

I've always used mechanical metronomes, as I find I can hear them better over my playing.

Unlike maggiemay and Gordon Schumway I do practice playing scales and pieces with it going, because I have an annoying tendency to vary my speed depending on the difficulty of the music. The metronome helps me to kick the habit (or at least be aware of where in the piece it happens). Also good for scales, to avoid speeding up on the way down.

My inbuilt sense of tempo is very bad! laugh.png

#23 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:02

I have an annoying tendency to vary my speed depending on the difficulty of the music. 

You share that habit with Segovia, who was once asked about his rubato and confessed it depended solely on the difficulty of the music!

Scales are OK to practise with a metronome, I think, although it is also important to practise them as though they were pieces of music.

#24 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:29

Do you speed up or slow down for the difficult bits? My annoying tendency is to panic when the tricky bit is coming up, heart rate quickens, I play faster .... even more difficult! Metronomes are really handy for that! I do like to practice with a metronome, particularly at the stage when I've just learned the notes and want to start playing each section through, the metronome helps me to focus on keeping going nice and steadily. But yes, for musical feel obviously it's better without.

#25 JimD

JimD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Washington UK

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:59

I slow down on the tricky bits.

#26 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:02

I don't think it is us slowing down at the tricky bits at all. It's the metronome which speeds up!
At least, mine does.

#27 JimD

JimD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Washington UK

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:51

I don't think it is us slowing down at the tricky bits at all. It's the metronome which speeds up!
At least, mine does.

biggrin.png

#28 michael N

michael N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Member: 309573
  • W.York's UK.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 17:52

Before 1815 everyone played in time, After 1815 many people discovered that they did not play in time. I was one of them. The metronome is an invention of the devil.

#29 maggie_piano

maggie_piano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 102507

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:56

I have a manual one which is great, because it is visual and I have an app on my phone which has visual and audio indicators. The mechanical ones are not loud enough so I use a drum machine plugged into a mixing desk and they can borrow it