#1 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:22

I'm looking for pieces that would be on the hard side for Grade 7, or easy Grade 8. There seems to be such a huge jump to get from one to the other! So far, although I haven't done exams, I've been using the Grades as a guide for what to try next, but I don't think I can just dive into Grade 8 even though I'm very happy with all the Grade 7 pieces I've tried. I gather the Chopin Nocturne on the current Grade 8 syllabus could be do-able, but anything else? Maybe from previous syllabuses or in Grade anthology books?

Also, on the other hand, I'm looking for nice anthologies of easier material so that when I want to play the piano but don't have enough energy for something hard, I can have something to semi-sight read / learn in a short space of time. I am almost finished with Burgmuller's Op. 100, and I had a lovely time a while back with some easy Kabalevsky that I found in a charity shop - so anything like that, probably around Grade 3ish to 5ish would work well. 

#2 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:14

Easy and difficult are very subjective - it depends a lot on your strengths and weaknesses. Are you good at scales/chords/fast playing etc? Perhaps you could say which grade 7 pieces you found easy/difficult. There are many anthologies of music up to grade 5 level. Do you want a variety of styles, just classical, old exam pieces etc?

I have a big list of music arranged by grade (approximately - some have been set for more than one grade!). pm me if you would like it emailed (its in an old version of word) - you could listen to pieces from the list to see what you think.

#3 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:55

Thank you zwhe - good point! The pieces that come most naturally to me are those like the Chopin Nocturne from the previous syllabus or say Shui Cao Wu from the one before that - beautiful chords and harmonies basically! The hardest for me was Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op. 102 No. 3 - the relentless staccato is quite tiring and there's one bit in there I just can't quite get. Otherwise I seem to be tackling most of them to a reasonable level, both my teacher and I are happy with it. I think the thing I most need to develop is concentration in quicker pieces that don't have pause for a break. I would love to play the Beethoven Presto a la Tedesca from the current Grade 8 syllabus, but I don't think at the moment I could cope either with the speed or with the fact that it's much longer than Grade 7 pieces so needs lots of concentration.

Anything that could help get me there?

Need to dash now, but I will pm you tomorrow; I think that list would be really useful! Thank you!

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17528 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 25 June 2019 - 14:03

The Chopin Nocturne in the latest Grade 8 syllabus is more like a Gr 7 so I suppose you could a call it an in between.  (also the other G minor one, or the E Minor Op 70  are a little harder - Eminor has been in Gr8)  You might even manage the C#minor Op Posth. one, but probably is an 8.  Also the Chopin Waltz in B Minor  has been 8 , but is really a 7 in my opinion.  And the F Minor waltz.  

#5 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 25 June 2019 - 14:30

If by easy you mean easy to learn noteswise, Liszt Dem Andenken Petofis, and Arensky Impromptu No 1 Op 25 seem in that category to me. They're in an old grade 8 abrsm book . In a LCM book there's Andaluza by Granados.

#6 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 25 June 2019 - 15:17

Do you like Scarlatti (different from Chopin, I know)? The Sonata k27 in B minor is beautiful in a romantic kind of a way, and, like a lot of Baroque keyboard music, would help with that concentration without pause.

The score is on IMSLP and here is Murray Perahia playing it:

I don't know what Kabalevsky you found, but the Four Rondos are great, and there's a volume of Shostakovich Easier Pieces for Piano that are similar in tone.

#7 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:11

The Chopin Nocturne in the latest Grade 8 syllabus is more like a Gr 7 so I suppose you could a call it an in between.  (also the other G minor one, or the E Minor Op 70  are a little harder - Eminor has been in Gr8)  You might even manage the C#minor Op Posth. one, but probably is an 8.  Also the Chopin Waltz in B Minor  has been 8 , but is really a 7 in my opinion.  And the F Minor waltz.  

Thank you! I have the B minor Waltz in an anthology, so I can give that a go (Op. 69 No. 2?), and I bought the Grade 8 book yesterday to try the Nocturne. I have learned the C# minor Op Posth. and didn't have any particular problems with it - well, obviously that last little run couldn't go at professional speeds, but otherwise!!!

I also have Chopin's "Raindrop" prelude Op 28 No. 15 - is that something I could try?

And I also have the complete Mendelssohn Songs without Words - any of those? Not always easy to tell by looking at the notes - Op. 53 No. 2 was a little easier than I expected, and Op. 102 No.3 harder!

Latin Pianist - I'll see if I can find the ABRSM book, I haven't tried any Liszt yet and don't know Arensky at all, will also investigate the Granados. Thank you!

Clovis - Isn't Scarlatti amazing! That piece could have been written by Beethoven - well, nearly, there's something wonderfully quirky about Scarlatti which makes him unique. I have to have a go at playing that, it is so beautiful! I'll check out the Kabelevsky and Shostakovic too, thank you!

#8 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17528 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:36

I have played all the Songs without Words at some time or another. The very first one has been set for Grade 7 quite a while ago, as has Op62 No1 (not difficult). Have you looked at the A Minor Venetian Gondola Song . Op62 no 5 ?   My favourites are 'Duetto'  Op38 no6, defintely Grade 8 level and Op 53 no3 in G Minor. The Chopin 'Raindrop' is surely something you can try, it has been in both Gr 7 and 8 in different boards.

Now that I have had more thinking time a few of the 24 Scriabin Preludes op 11, particularly no 2 in A Minor I like (Gr 7-8) . Also Nos 9 and 13.  Some of them are Dip standard though ! Similarly the Shostakovich 24 Preludes op 34 - a few easier ones, quite a few Grade 8 level , and a few stinkers.  Maybe ideas moving forward.  Finally you might like to try the Liszt D flat Consolation.  Have you done Debussy 'La fille au Cheveux de lin' (preludes Book1), or even 'MInstrels' the last one in that book.   Finally this is a good guide for many pieces at all levels...https://qualificatio...els-Booklet.pdf

#9 jch48

jch48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Member: 25823
  • East Midlands

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:11

a few ideas, excluding Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven

around G7 to G8
Faure improvisation in C# minor

Mendelssohn: Song without words in G op 62 no 1

Schumann: Kinderszenen

Debussy: Arabesques

Schubert: either Ab impromptu, some of moment musicaux, allegretto in c minor (in keynotes G4-5)

easier/quicker to learn/ more akin to that Burgmuller

Caroll: Alone at sunset

Grieg: Arietta Op 12 No 1

Mompou: Parajo triste

Merikanto: Valse Lente (in keynotes G4-5)

Chopin: Cantabile (in keynotes G4-5)

Satie: Gnossiemes

#10 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:48

jch48's list is fab. I'll second the Grieg Arietta - in fact, if you don't already have it, the complete Lyric Pieces have a lot of gems. They're very varied difficulty (bit like Songs Without Words). I'm currently attempting the Notturno, having learned a selection of around a dozen so far. A long way off having attempted them all...

#11 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:05

Thank you for those detailed suggestions Fsharpminor and jch48! That's really helpful.

F#m - I did try the Debussy La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin, and enjoyed that (including the creativity required to decide how to split the huge chords, and when to play them when he's written it such that three chords all need to be played at once …!) - so definitely would try more Debussy! I may have Minstrels in an anthology.

jch48 - Interestingly, the Merikanto was set at Grade 6 in the previous syllabus - I think it probably was on the easy side for that grade, but it did have some tricky moments. Very nice piece, and I will see if I can hunt down some of the others.

And of course I will enjoy any of Mendelssohn's Songs without Words as and when I'm able to play them. smile.png