#1 onemoretime

onemoretime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Member: 114927

Posted 05 July 2019 - 13:41

Was just wondering if anyone had taught, or parent of someone aged 16/ 18 who took the Diploma?

And if so could recommend some music at the right level to look at over the holidays. It's for a Mezzo Soprano. 

Range low G to high A.

Student has a distinction at grade 8, and will be taking both GCSE and A level music prior to conservatoire audition for classical singing, not modern theatre or pop.  Currently tackling Mahler Symphony no 8, with no problems.

Thanks in advance. 

#2 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2716 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:18

What does her teacher suggest?

#3 tangerine

tangerine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Member: 116120

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:17

So much depends on a young person's physical development when it comes to the voice.

As Banjogirl says, see what the teacher recommends. I personally would prefer my pupils to wait a little before they take a singing diploma, but every individual is different.

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17573 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:20

Back in 1963 I had to wait until my 16th  birthday to take ALCM, as it was a minimum age in all boards  Its amazing so many  kids can get to A dip level much younger these days

#5 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 07 July 2019 - 16:49

As a parent of a similar aged soprano for whom diplomas are being considered for next year-ish, I'd guess that this is very individual.  My daughter's holiday singing will start with a choral course and end with a musical theatre group ...  Mind you, she's probably heading for humanities then possibly consider conservatoire training at postgrad level if it feels right then.  I will be interested to see what advice gets posted here.

#6 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:34

Impossible to advise without hearing and knowing the singer. Isn't the teacher recommending holiday repertoire? Ther's still a big gap between Grade 8 and diploma level  - which board were you thinking of? Trinity, LCM, ABRSM all have quite different requirements. Also the ARSM was introduced to bridge the gap between Grade 8 and first Diploma.

A holiday course might be useful, and she would get ideas about repertoire from the teachers there and from hearing other singers.

#7 violincjj

violincjj

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts
  • Member: 88
  • Manchester UK

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:37

DS did ARSM and researched repertoire for himself from the syllabi and following his own areas of personal interest, then discussed all the options and possible permutations with his teacher.