#1 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 08 July 2019 - 13:28

It's a while since I started someone of this age on the violin and was wondering what other teachers use nowadays? I used to use the Oxford strings in Step with Fiddle Time Joggers on the side.

Thank you in advance for recommendations.

#2 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 08 July 2019 - 16:28

A Flying Start for Strings is the book I tend to start pupils on nowadays.  Pupils used to complete the first two books then move to Fiddle Time Runners but I have recently had a couple of pupils move onto the third Flying Start book because I didn't feel they'd be able to cope with Runners yet.  Tricks to Tunes has the same publisher as the Flying Start series and I have used it in the past although I seem to be sticking with Flying Start at the moment.

#3 violin star

violin star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 892916

Posted 08 July 2019 - 16:58

I haven't heard of Flying Start but use Book 1 and 2 of the Violin Star series by ABRSM. My pupils really like the tunes and still ask to play some of them months later which must be a good sign.  I add Wagon Wheels and the Sheila Nelson duet books for variety and sight reading.  

#4 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 08 July 2019 - 21:12

I haven't heard of Flying Start but will look into it. Thank you. I've tried Violin Star with one student when it first came out - but not too sure about it. I would use it for supplementary material perhaps but not as a core course.

#5 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 08 July 2019 - 23:07

I really like Hey Presto, and have yet to find a student (aged 5 to adult) who didn't like the pieces.  They feel very much like they are playing "real" pieces right from the start, rather than playing an accompaniment while the teacher/CD plays the tune.  I use these books with almost all my students. 

For age 9, I would also supplement with something like Violin Star (which I like, but it does have a lot of those "accompaniment" type pieces at the start), Stepping Stones, or possibly FT Starters or Joggers....or I have a few others too.  Class Act 1 can be popular with this sort of age group, and the listening exercises especially are really useful.  

I tend to play it by ear a little for the first couple of lessons, while I get an idea of how quickly they are picking things up etc, then I will let them see / hear a few books (that I think will be appropriate) and choose which one(s) they like the best.  

I like these kind of questions/threads - it's interesting to find out what others are using, and I nearly always discover at least one book I've not used before, or previously overlooked.  smile.png

#6 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:57

I like the Flying Start series too, and had one child who worked through all three books and was disappointed to find that there wasn't a fourth. I have used the Stepping Stones series quite a lot too. But whichever method I use, I always supplement with other stuff - eg, Team Strings; Fiddle Time; Red Parrot, Green Parrot; etc and some early duets - I especially like Pairswub.png for the latter, and even use it for adults. The tunes are great and I haven't yet had anyone who hasn't enjoyed them. For kids (and adults) who are so inclined, I might also use The Folk Fiddle Tutor