Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:00

I just bought a Hidersine HEV1 electric violin. £185 on Amazon. It's very nice indeed (for the money - you can get EVs for £4,000. I'd hope they were better, but it's difficult to imagine how unless they are bomb-proof!). I tuned it up properly last night and it has kept its tuning this morning. I had a Zest one that cost half as much, but it was horrible and I ended up ditching it. The HEV1 even came in a fabulous (for the money) case. My teacher keeps a very expensive instrument in a Hidersine case, they are that good. And I like their rosin too. (I use 6V but I've also got some 3V, and for amber rosin it looks pretty luxurious). Their website indicates that the bow is probably worth £18.75, but really it's hard to tell the difference between it and my Col Legno Standard, unless it's the weight difference.

#2 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 11 July 2019 - 16:20

I sometimes consider getting an electic, so useful info. Thanks for sharing.

#3 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3765 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:18

I used to have a Hidersine half moon shape case and it was lightweight as well providing decent protection to my then violin. I also know others who use Hidersine cases. Good for the price point.

I've never tried any of their instruments and I am not keen on electric. I would like to have a go on a baroque violin but I don't believe they make any of these.

#4 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • London

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:57

I will buy a violin soon, so I'm looking at Hidersine's cases, but, like a lot of other companies, they offer too much variety.

I made a brief list of the most obvious choices just to try to sort out any idea involved, and it runs to 17 different 4/4 cases in different styles, different materials, different prices, etc. I'm going to assume naively that the more expensive they are, the better, but that cuts the choice down to their top five, with no obvious way to distinguish between them, except that one is half-moon shaped and ABS (?), so I may go for that one just to get the decision over and done with! I have no idea how strong styrofoam is. Is their expensive superlight one just styrofoam?

#5 John Cockburn

John Cockburn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Member: 448030
  • Sheffield

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:32

I've been quite impressed with the hidersine student instruments I've seen. A bit on the heavy side, but better made and set up than your average low/mid range chinese instrument.

#6 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • London

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:10

I used to have a Hidersine half moon shape case and it was lightweight as well providing decent protection to my then violin. I also know others who use Hidersine cases. Good for the price point.

no obvious way to distinguish between them, except that one is half-moon shaped and [polycarbonate], so I may go for that one just to get the decision over and done with!

Having said that, I just looked at it on their website, and, apart from a small amount of suspension, there doesn't seem to be anything else, and it looks pretty unforgiving.

#7 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • London

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:45

Anyone who's still interested, my teacher uses their VLA100 case for a very valuable 18th century 15" viola. This case is "hard styrofoam", and the RRP is £105. It is available much cheaper than this. I rapped it with my knuckles yesterday and it seems pretty strong.

The equivalent violin cases are the VC104, VC105 and VC107; violin-shape, D-shape and oblong, respectively.

The case that came with the electric violin is the HVC1. (all models suffixed with "a" for 4/4 size, e.g. VC107a).

If you're not interested, please accept my sincerest apologies, lol!

#8 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6151 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 19 July 2019 - 16:49

Oh if only cello cases came in nice options and at prices that weren't eye-watering. Basic Hiscox case is nearly £300 and carbon fibre starts around £1,000

#9 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • London

Posted 19 July 2019 - 17:44

I remember Hiscox from CG forums.

Hidersine seem comparable.

It's not a commercial link - the prices are just rrps, so it should be OK.

https://www.hidersin...cessories/cases