Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3578 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 16 July 2019 - 17:16

I've just found an email in my junk mail which says it's from Epta but is not a normal Epta email address, asking if I can teach a 5 year boy.Just got a feeling it's not genuine. Has anybody else been contacted this way?

#2 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6550 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 16 July 2019 - 18:32

No. Sounds dodgy if it's not a normal email address. I don't think I would open it.

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3578 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 16 July 2019 - 20:46

I think it may have come through Epta but the language doesn't sound quite right. I'm not really looking for any more students at present as I've got a few new ones starting in September.It says to contact if I have availability so I don't really need to respond.

#4 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 16 July 2019 - 20:50

It sounds highly unlikely that comes from EPTA.  They do not usually act like an agency.

Edit:  I suggest you delete and block the address.

#5 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3578 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 16 July 2019 - 20:54

Thanks, Dorcas. But how do people contact you if they see your name in the EPTA list of teachers? I only joined for insurance purposes, not to gain pupils.

#6 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:50

If you are happy with your workload, both current and planned, why are you concerned about the provenance of an email in your spam folder?  Personally, I would delete and block, then think about something else.

#7 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3578 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:06

I suppose I feel that if it's genuine it seems mean not to reply. But you're right Dorcas, it shouldn't be a cause of concern.

#8 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:14

Could you phone/email them with their usual contact details and ask? Then they would be aware if someone is using their name without permission as well.

#9 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:41

Block, delete, move on.  I am not sure about contacting anyone else about this, as it could cause unnecessary alarm, particularly if they have no connection.   Also, why waste time on this? If it helps, I am mean enough to walk past charity collectors in the street, as well as blocking and deleting spam email which gets through the security system.  There are simply not enough hours in the day to follow through politely to decline apparent offers of work.  I just deleted and blocked someone offering to grow my business to two thousand students a week.  It really was not a scam, apparently, and they weren't going to contact me again.  Probably perfectly genuine, but not what I want to be drawn into.  Deleted and blocked, and very satisfying.

Time to enjoy the rest of the day.

#10 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:54

I would forward it to EPTA, highlighting it as possible fraud to let them deal with it, then delete and move on as others advise.  The reason I suggest notifying EPTA is that their data base may have been hacked, in which case they need to do something urgently. It would take LP less than a minute, but might protect other EPTA members.

#11 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3578 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:00

That's a good idea!
Have forwarded it so will wait and see.

#12 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3578 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:31

The lady at Epta has responded but can't say if it's genuine. She says the person has clicked a contact button against my name on the find a teacher register. So it could be genuine. As she says, if it is genuine they'll try again.The wording of it is a bit ungrammatical which is sometimes an indication of a scam.

#13 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1778 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 18 July 2019 - 21:45

Epta do pass on emails this way -- I just had one and I've had them before and responded without a problem.

#14 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:04

I think what sounded my alarm bells was that it ended up in the spam folder.  Anyway, mystery solved.  I would still recommend ignoring any emails which do not feel legitimate, regardless of the source.  In fairness, any database of contacts, published on the internet, is going to be a possible source for scammers.  I err on the side of paranoia, as the first email requests for lessons I ever received, were phishing expeditions.  I was drawn into a long string of emails about two children, travelling from abroad, who needed several hours of tuition every day for weeks.  I was convinced the children existed, but realised the emails were peculiar, and was incensed by the cavalier attitude of the purported parents who were prepared to saddle their children with a complete stranger!!!!  What really did it for me, was the offer to pay hundreds of pounds, in advance, which was just bizarre.  It wasn't until a few scam  attempts later, I realised those children never existed.  It does colour how I react now.

edit: grammar

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Is it genuine?