Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:59

- I have an amazing ability to go completely blank and not be able to work out what comes next.

hides.gif

Join the club. One of our daughters has the same problem too. The other, like Mr.G'P, is 'normal nervous'.

#17 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 30 July 2019 - 13:01

I am in that club too.

Taking grade 3 piano last summer I was a nervous wreck. I made so many mistakes and stopped and had to take a few deep breaths to be able to continue but still passed so I am sure you can do it Misterioso

#18 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:24

I'm in the club too. Really hoping I can be brave enough to do Grade 7 piano and then Grade 8, but can I really put myself through the anxiety, which wouldn't just be for the exam, it would be all the time for 2/3 weeks or even more before it .... I would hate not to do an exam just because of this "disability" but it is a very real issue. Sympathies to all those similarly afflicted.

#19 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:27

I'm in the club too. Really hoping I can be brave enough to do Grade 7 piano and then Grade 8, but can I really put myself through the anxiety, which wouldn't just be for the exam, it would be all the time for 2/3 weeks or even more before it .... I would hate not to do an exam just because of this "disability" but it is a very real issue. Sympathies to all those similarly afflicted.

My sympathies to everyone as well who suffers with debilitating anxiety. I have been there, and what worked best was psychological therapy (CBT), which you can get for free on the NHS. It's hard, but it really worked for me. Now, I didn't have the therapy for performance anxiety specifically, but the same principles still apply, and people with performance anxiety are likely to be anxious about other things too.  I know there's no 'one-size-fits-all' with these things, some people really don't like CBT at all, but if that is an option, I really do recommend people to at least give it a go. Putting in the hard work is easier than living with anxiety! Of course I still have anxiety but it doesn't stop me from doing the things I want. I'm happy to chat via e.g. private messages if anyone wants more information. :) Even though I had therapy before I started my singing & piano, I don't think I would be able to sit exams if I hadn't done that work before - in fact, I don't think I would have started learning music at all if I still was as anxious as I used to be. 

Going back to autumn exams, I had a lesson on Sunday and suggested to my teacher that I should just sign up to take theory exam in November and I'll then just make sure I'll be ready for it. She agreed, so at least I've made a clear commitment now. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: musical instruments, grade exams, abrsm