Diplomas in Music Performance
Our diplomas in Music Performance provide opportunities for musicians above Grade 8 to gain recognition for their performance skills, knowledge and understanding at an advanced level.
On this page you can find out about:
ARSM - there are no changes to our current ARSM diploma in Music Performance, follow the link below to find out more.
New LRSM and FRSM from 2024 - the qualification specification is available now along with expanded repertoire lists and additional guidance – see below. Booking and assessment will be available from April 2024.
DipABRSM, LRSM and FRSM ending 2024 - we are withdrawing these diplomas and you can find more information about deadlines for taking or retaking exams on this page.
Our Performance diplomas and their Regulatory Qualification Framework levels are:
- ARSM (Associate of the Royal Schools of Music) – Level 4
- LRSM (Licentiate of the Royal Schools of Music) – Level 6
- FRSM (Fellowship of the Royal Schools of Music) – Level 7
Qualification specification – the qualification specification for our new LRSM and FRSM diplomas in Music Performance is now available to download on this page.
Repertoire lists – expanded repertoire lists are also available to download on this page.
Further guidance – in addition to reading the qualification specification, please read the important information on our guidance page about booking your diploma, making video recordings and formatting and uploading submissions.
Booking and assessment – available from April 2024
Introducing the new diplomas
The new LRSM and FRSM in Music Performance will allow you to demonstrate:
- your practical performance skills in a live performance environment
- your knowledge and understanding, relevant to your programme and performance, through a piece of supporting evidence
This is an opportunity to create a performance that has a real sense of occasion. This is your recital, your programme of music and your performance space. You can even choose to invite an audience.
As these are digital assessments, you will need to arrange a video recording of your recital. This can be in a location or venue of your choice with or without an audience.
Our new LRSM and FRSM Performance diplomas are available for:
Keyboard: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ
Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Guitar, Harp
Woodwind: Recorder, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone
Brass: Horn, Trumpet, Cornet, Flugelhorn, E♭ Horn, Trombone, Bass Trombone, Baritone, Euphonium, Tuba
Other: Percussion, Singing
To enter, you must have Grade 8 on your chosen instrument from any exam board. There are no age limits.
- A live performance demonstrating your musical skills, performance technique and stylistic interpretation.
- A supporting piece of evidence related to preparing your repertoire and performance.
- 40 – 45 mins (LRSM) or 50 – 55 mins (FRSM)
- Repertoire from the list for your diploma – at least 50% of your programme time
- Own-choice repertoire of up to 22 mins (LRSM) or 27 minutes (FRSM)
Performance as a whole
- Communication, interpretation and delivery
- An opportunity to demonstrate your expertise in an aspect of preparing for performance – showing your knowledge and understanding of a particular piece(s), your instrument, how to select a programme or preparing for an advanced performance.
- You can choose from a list of options, to be confirmed in the qualification specification, available in November 2023.
% of total mark
Performance as a whole
You do not have to pass each component to achieve your diploma.
68 - 75
60 - 67
Repertoire lists are available to download on this page.
We will be publishing expanded repertoire lists in November 2023. We will not be removing any pieces.
You should choose at least 50% of your programme from the relevant repertoire list. The rest of your programme can either be from the repertoire list or be own-choice music of broadly the same standard, including:
- Solo, chamber of ensemble works
- Own compositions or arrangements
If you would like to include more than 50% own-choice repertoire in your programme, you will need to contact us in advance to request approval.
Performance LRSM and FRSM Qualification Specification
LRSM repertoire lists (from 2024)
FRSM repertoire lists (from 2024)
In preparation for introducing new Music Performance diplomas from 2024 we are withdrawing the previous DipABRSM, LRSM and FRSM diplomas. Deadlines for taking or re-taking these diplomas are:
- DipABRSM Performance – 31 December 2023
- LRSM Performance – 30 April 2024
- FRSM Performance – 31 October 2024
If you have passed part of a diploma and do not retake and pass the failed section(s) during the withdrawal period, any passed sections will no longer be valid.
We are withdrawing the DipABRSM in Music Performance completely. However, this diploma will continue to be a valid and highly respected qualification and recipients can still use the letters DipABRSM after their name.
There are no changes to the ARSM diploma in Music Performance which will continue to be available alongside our new LRSM and FRSM diplomas from 2024.
DipABRSM, LRSM and FRSM ending 2024
What’s in the assessment
- Instrumental or vocal recital
- Viva voce
- Programme notes (DipABRSM and LRSM) or written submission (FRSM)
- Quick study
Full details, including repertoire lists, are available in the Performance Diploma Syllabus 2022, available to download on this page. We also have a number supporting materials to download, including sample quick study tests and guides to writing programme notes and the viva voce.
Sample quick study tests
Download a sample quick study test to find out more about the technical level required and what to expect in the exam. For further practice, you can explore the repertoire lists for your instrument at Grades 6, 7 and 8.